• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Am I too short for Karate

BG fighter

I am 6'2, so I have a good reach, but it's easier to catch longer leg, and then put me down. And when I'm taller it hurts more to fall then if someone is small:) "the higher you go, the harder you fall"

A style is just a name.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one thing i think everyone isnt realizing is yes he may be smaller and therefore faster, but in Kyokushin karate you stand right in front of your opponent basically all the time. i dont think 5 9 is really too small but i just wanted to point out that speed getting in and out is not a huge factor in this style of fighting

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

I agree with above post.

Basically my style of fighting is based on strong and fast punches both legs and arms involved. Also ability to absorb a lot of damage and good head defense.

I don`t have any unique movements or one deadly punch technique. I don`t know a good master to show me something different as well. I am trying to work a lot on sabaki but I need also offensive solutions.

That is why I am not sure this time but will see...

My sensei, from who I am learning Kyokushin, is about 5'3" tall, just as I am. He used to beat much taller people in the little tournaments around here on a regular basis, back in the day. He focuses on punches instead of kicks, though of course he does those too.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Kyokushin has sabaki techniques (evasion) in it. Two small fighters, Kenji Midori and Yuka Kobayashi (woman) used sabaki a lot in winning tournaments. Midori won one of the World Tournaments and Kobayashi won an all-Japan open weight class tournament. Kyokushin is about taking a hit, but it can be just as much about avoiding one in close quarters. And what you're talking about sounds more like MMA than pure Kyokushin. What are the rules of the competition? You mentioned some people doing Sambo or Judo. If this is MMA, then I'd suggest you start learning some Judo or Sambo as well. You're shorter, but you should have quite a bit of muscle at that weight. Throwing people could come quite naturally.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I personally don't think that ones height and weight should really matter and/or be of a great concern. Why? Bruce Lee was 5'7", 165lbs...I don't think that I need to say anymore.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

i just wanted to point out that speed getting in and out is not a huge factor in this style of fighting

It actually is, unless you're so big compared to your opponent that you don't mind getting punched and kicked by him. Much like any martial art, distance is an important part of Kyokushin.

I personally don't think that ones height and weight should really matter and/or be of a great concern. Why? Bruce Lee was 5'7", 165lbs...I don't think that I need to say anymore.

I thought Bruce Lee is movie legend, am I wrong?

Sensei8, how big are you? Have you had real fight with significantly bigger oponents?

I thought Bruce Lee is movie legend, am I wrong?

Sensei8, how big are you? Have you had real fight with significantly bigger oponents?

Bruce is first and foremost, a martial arts legend, movie legend secondly, imho!

I'm 6'1"...why?

**Proof is on the floor!!!