• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Am I too short for Karate

BG fighter

Hello fighters!

Sorry for the spam question but for me is really important.

I am practicing Kyokushin Karate for already 8 years. I have participated in many international youth competitions. In this competiti9ns normally there are categories (e.g up to 80 kg etc.) Now, I am 21 years old and next year should compete in professional male competitions, free style, no categories.

The problem is that I am only 5`9 (175) tall and 188lbs (85kg). I have the feeling that most of the professional fighters are much taller and that might be a problem.

What do you think?

Thanks and regards

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You pose an interesting question. I am a similar sized fighter to you, and I have done full-contact, knockdown competitions before, but not with Kyokushin (yes other Karate styles do them too). You will be outsized, but you should be much faster than the other competitors. You need to make sure your technique is perfect, and you MUST work on sabaki. Sabaki will save your life. I'm assuming by "professional" you mean world-class. As far as I know, Kyokushin doesn't have real professional bouts. If you want to see someone who is great at Sabaki, very small, quick, and extremely powerful, look at Midori Kenji. He won one of the world tournaments at about 5'6" 155 lbs.

Also, why don't you pop over to the introduction forums and let us know a few things about yourself. Welcome to KF!

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Personally i dont beleave you have anything to worry about. When fighting I find that if a smaller guy can get in close to his opponent then the taller guy is going to have problems and have to back up slightly inorder to gain space to manouver. A lot of smaller fighters are also well grounded and have a lower center of gravity meaning that manouverablity for them comes easier than someone taller. Obviously a taller person can compensate for that and its not full proof but if you entering a comp you've got just as much chance of winning as anyone else. Kyokushinkai does its comps under weight and grade catagorys so you will be matched against someone roughly your own size and weight if you do knockdown or clicker. You'll be fine.

Rule one of Sparring: Beware of anyone who grins the face of obvious oblivion.

Ryu Narushima is only 5'6" and 155 pounds and considered a very tough knockdown fighter.

Against taller fighters, the traditional boxing tactic is infighting so I would make sure you're emphasizing that as well. Shita tsuki combinations, shovel hooks to the body, knee strikes, low kicks, etc. Be careful when you're at your opponent's kicking range, when you see a jodan mawashi you need to either move out of the way fast or close the distance quickly.

You can definitely do it, it's only a question of strategy and tactics.

Another option is to add in some weight training and hover near the high end of the weight class so when you're in close you can manhandle your lighter opponents around.

Like mentioned above, you shouldn't have too much trouble. Learn what works for you, and how to get in on the bigger guys so you can work them over.

I'm 5'9", it hasnt hampered me at all, i mean give or take 2 inches both ways and you have the average height of most males, i dont see as though it would pose a particular problem, we have a 5'4" guy in our dojo and he's one of the best fighters among us :D

"Get beyond violence, yet learn to understand its ways"

"Seek peace in every moment, yet be prepared to defend your very being"

"Does the river dwell on how long it will take to become the ocean..." - Sensei Bruce Payne

https://www.shinkido.co.uk

Mike Tyson, at 5'11" took on the best in the world in his prime. Many of whom were 3 to five inches taller. You just need to know how to fight within your body. Are going to fight the same way as a 6'2" guy? Probably not as you may have different skill sets due to size. Make it happen, I'm sure you will do well.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Thank you guys fo all your answers. You raised some very good points here.

My question has been provoked by an invitation that I have received recently. It came by regional (East Europe) federation for free fights. There are fighters from any style, age and size. Most of them are practicing Karate (any type), Kickbox, Judo, Box, Taekwondo, Sambo etc.

Unlike most of the Karate tournaments there are no categories.

The competitors are paid and do this for living so it is a serious decision to be made. I think that I will try and if not will continue training for health and spirit.

P.S. Most of the guys I met in the dojo (more like training hall) are around 6`3/ 100-120 kg

I am 5' 8 and, while it can be more challenging fighting taller opponents, there also advantages to this. If you can get inside a taller opponents reach you can make your height an advantage.

I have found, being smaller than many of my opponents, that anticipation of attack is key, if you apply the sen principle, anticipate their attack and move to either counter at the same time or ideally before their technique is thrown. This means that, as you are smaller, you are in too close for their natural fighting range to be effective and you have the advantage.

I have always found that as a smaller fighter it is imperative to commit to getting inside techniques, especially kicks. You might take a couple of knocks on the way in but that is far better than taking many while outside your range.