• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nicknames

Years ago, I trained at a kickboxing gym where the trainer gave most of the students nicknames. He called me "Iceman." He said it was after the legendary Canadian kickboxer Jean Yves Theriault. I felt quite honored. I said, "Wow, do you really think I fight like him?!" He laughed & said, "Uh no. But ya do kinda look like him....a little." :D

My sister-school's instructor (and good friend of mine) gives a lot of his students nicknames. I can't seem to do that. I don't want a nickname someone doesn't like to stick, I suppose.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've never liked the idea of nicknames for students. Unless you give them all a nickname it feels like playing favorites to me. Or at least I think the students might perceive it that way.

Also, I just don't think up nicknames naturally.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Sensei calls me "his tank," which I am very flattered by since his nickname back in the day was "tank," on account of him being so tiny but taking everything people threw at him and continuing to fight.

Shihan, who trained Sensei, told him last week that everyone gets a nickname, and mine was "eevee." That's how he pronounced it, anyway. Because he couldn't remember that my name was "Ev," so he kept calling me "eevee" instead.

I'm kind of hoping that the first one is the one that sticks. :P

Wait, maybe not... Maybe I shouldn't want a nickname in Kyokushin that people will want to test. :P

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• 1 month later...

for a while some people called me "danger girl"

It's not what you'd think though. See, when I started training ten years ago I was REALLY clumsy. I mean like you wouldn't believe. I walked into the dojo on my first day and accidentally turned over an entire 500lb weight rack while everyone was in seiza. I head-butted my senpai in the face exiting the ladies restroom. If I was carrying food, it went everywhere. Basically, everywhere I went I caused accidental chaos in my wake.

I was also called "The Entertainment" but I somehow don't think that qualifies as a real nickname. No one else really got a nickname in the dojo except for that one kid who seriously looked like a young Ralph Macchio, and accidentally called our Japanese instructor "Sensei Miyagi" once. He was affectionately known as "Daniel-san" after that point in time. :karate:

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro