• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Recently received 2nd Dan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I never thought that I would be doing karate, much less, reach 2nd Dan.

My journey in martial arts began nearly 6 years ago when my 6 year old son started coming home, running to his room, and locking himself in while crying. Two older boys were picking on him, telling him he was dumb, and calling him Dumbo. The reason for the name calling was because he is hearing impaired and wears a hearing aide on each ear. At the time he had just gotten the aides, his hair was short, and the aides made his ears stick out a little (like Dumbo). As in the case with many hearing impaired people, his speech was hard to understand. After talking with the boys parents and with the bus driver failed to resolve the issue permanently, I decided to enroll him in karate classes. I did not want him to go looking for a fight, but, if one came his way, I wanted him to be able to defend himself. I also thought it would boost his self confidence. Every week I would sit and watch him and he enjoyed it, but, as the time approached to test for his first belt, he grew very nervous. He ask me to start taking classes with him and a reluctantly did so only to discover, I love karate. I have been practicing ever since. Things happen for a reason!

Sensei Kellam

Karate is a way of life!

http://cranemartialarts.ecrater.com/

Does your son still train?

Yes, he still trains. He recently placed 1st in kata at a local tournament. He doesn't do quite as well in sparring. He is good and knows the moves, but, he is so much smaller than the others kids his age and rank. Since his arms and legs are shorter than most of the others, he has to work harder than his opponent and really make the moves count. He is fast and tends to try to get in quick and attack fast cause he knows he can't reach as far as his opponent. He did place 3rd in sparring at the tournament.

Sensei Kellam

Karate is a way of life!

http://cranemartialarts.ecrater.com/

• 1 month later...