• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

10,000 hour rule

There is a theroy that if someone practices and task for 10,000 hours, that person becomes successful (Masters) that task.

My question is, does this apply the the world of MA?

Let the discussion begin.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
There is a theroy that if someone practices and task for 10,000 hours, that person becomes successful (Masters) that task.

My question is, does this apply the the world of MA?

Let the discussion begin.

The use of 10,000 is arbitrary. Its a figure of speech in Chinese written language. You hear about the 10,000 of this or that all the time in Classical Chinese writing. It means practice a lot and you will become a master.

Both Japan and Korea were heavily influenced by this and you will find the same phrase used in both languages.

Like saying "that suitcase must weigh a million pounds"

I don't think there is ever really enough time to master anything....you can get good but there will always be something you can improve.

8)

Thats kind of what I was thinking. I just wanted to see what everyone elses was thinking.

Of course it apply. If you will do a kick for 10,000 hours, you would surely master it.

If you spend those 10 000 hours doing the kick correctly. Sloppy or bad form for 10 000 hours would just ingrain bad habits which would take more time to correct.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Of course it apply. If you will do a kick for 10,000 hours, you would surely master it.

If you spend those 10 000 hours doing the kick correctly. Sloppy or bad form for 10 000 hours would just ingrain bad habits which would take more time to correct.

Yes but are those 10,000 not the point of correcting the sloppy or bad form?

You start sloppy or not so good and then through aquisition of feel you become more and more coordinated. The more you play with the technique the more you can get it to work. Well that's my approach anyway. I like to make small changes when I feel like it to try and get the technique to work better.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Yes but are those 10,000 not the point of correcting the sloppy or bad form?

You start sloppy or not so good and then through aquisition of feel you become more and more coordinated. The more you play with the technique the more you can get it to work. Well that's my approach anyway. I like to make small changes when I feel like it to try and get the technique to work better.

Well yeah that's what you should be doing. Correcting yourself and all as you go along. My point was that if you spend those 10 000 hours doing rubbish kicks you'll just learn how to kick rubbish. Not necessarily quantity but quality training. So maybe the answer to Dobie's question is that if you spend those 10 000 hours training wisely and perfecting the motions then you'll become a "master" of it.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Spend 10,000 hours training with a master :lol:

The path leading to anger and conflict is wide and easy to travel the path leading to self control and discipline is narrow and difficult

You said it before I did...and you're absolutely correct!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!