• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ippons??

david123

i do shotokan karate and we fight with ippons and waza-ari's.....i know punching like reverse punch and stuff gets a waza-ari and a jodan roundhouse gets an ippon.....but what exactly do they look for and what techniques get ippons??

practice doesnt make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This question is particular to what organization you're competing with. It's best left answered by your instructor. However, from what I know about Shotokan, mainly through interaction so don't take my word as law, the technique must be performed with great form, timing, and power to be considered worthy of garnering an ippon. My serious advice, once again, is to ask your instructor. He can answer you best, because he can actually show you. We can only send out lines of text here.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• 4 months later...

Ippon Definition is fairly easy to explain. Simply put, it is a flawless throw. A throw with perfect form as if was the best throw in the match.

The key to immorality is first living a life worth remembering

That's the definition for Ippon in a Judo competition, not a Shotokan one. In Shotokan, it's generally a specific technique, or set of techniques chudan uke, giyaku tsuki for example, that is performed cleanly with speed and power, that the other person doesn't block or move away from in a timely manner. It isn't as easy to explain as you'd think. It's much better to be shown.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

i do shotokan karate and we fight with ippons and waza-ari's.....i know punching like reverse punch and stuff gets a waza-ari and a jodan roundhouse gets an ippon.....but what exactly do they look for and what techniques get ippons??

This link is from the American Shotokan Karate Federation, and it might help you out. Once you open the link, scroll down to the KUMITE RULES section...

http://www.askf.org/Dojo/tournaments.asp#Kumite

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

See, this is why i love the forums. I did not know shotokan had ippons. I love learning new things from dif MA. Thanks for the lesson isshinryu :)

The key to immorality is first living a life worth remembering

You're welcome. WKF has a few different forms of competition. The problem is that it's not as common in the US as the big point sparring games of tag. You don't get to see ippon kumite very often.

Aside from the WKF, Kyokushin Karate's knockdown system works on an ippon system as well. A true knockdown is a full point, a stunning strike or a timed sweep is a waza ari.

- Tao Te Ching

• 4 months later...
You're welcome. WKF has a few different forms of competition. The problem is that it's not as common in the US as the big point sparring games of tag. You don't get to see ippon kumite very often.

Aside from the WKF, Kyokushin Karate's knockdown system works on an ippon system as well. A true knockdown is a full point, a stunning strike or a timed sweep is a waza ari.

Sorry but thats not really correct. WKF only has one rule set for kumite. It is based on scoring techniques being Ippon, Nihon and Sanbon (1,2,3 points) and is quite specific as to what scores each. Hand technique are Ippon, Body kciks are Nihon and Jodan kicks or techniques perfomed while your opponent is flat on the ground are Sanbon.

WKF moved away from the Ippon/Wazari in about 2001 because it was far too subjective as to what constituted an Ippon. Another slight rule change took place in 2009 again to remove subjectivity and a further change is proposed for 2012.

lA number of organisations still use what is very close to the old WKF rule set.