• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Passing The Applegate Test!

"Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul". ~ Rex Applegate

Have you, as a martial artist, applied the Applegate test on everything that you've ever learned in the martial arts?

AND...

Were you being perfectly honest with yourself while you applied the Applegate test?

Forget about systems, styles, methods and ideas for a moment because those things tend to slave us into a unwanted mindset, no, a dangerous mindset.

For me to blindly follow the who, what, where, when, how, and why of Shindokan is not only risky for me, but, it's pretty foolish of me to do so. Not everything in the Shindokan bible is effective FOR ME, therefore, I won't practice it. Yes, I'll teach it, and then I'll expect my students to discover for themselves if it's effective for them or not. Our Soke put it, whatever 'it' is, into Shindokan for some reason, and it's possible that everything worked effectively for him. But, I'm not him, I'm just little old me!

I'm just being honest with myself!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Personally having a kickboxing background before i started studying karate, i feel alot more comfortable with kicks, i've got long flexible legs and have been in situations where i've had to stop someone hurting me, one of which was resolved with a mae geri to the lower abdomen and the other with a kakato geri to the shin.

As to whether those would have been the best techniques to use, i dont know, they're just what came out and what felt right, the mae geri to me is a very comfortable kick and easy to fire off nice and fast :)

"Get beyond violence, yet learn to understand its ways"

"Seek peace in every moment, yet be prepared to defend your very being"

"Does the river dwell on how long it will take to become the ocean..." - Sensei Bruce Payne

https://www.shinkido.co.uk

Yes I agree it is very hard to be honest and realise that somethings you yourself are unable to do and others can do them, it is just the nature of the game.

I do think in the midst of drilling in the middle of class often what happens is the meaning of the exercise is lost and it becomes just that, an exercise rather than realistic practice.

StrangeBacon-If something works then it is the best technique sure there may be something easier but maybe not that suits you.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

There are times when I practice DT and Combat Hapkido that my partner and I will question whether or not something is viable. In my TKD and Aikido class, I will question some of the things we practice, and wonder the same to myself, if I think they are viable to use. Its a good way to keep ourselves honest as Martial Artists.

I was in the very fortunate situation when I was younger where the small dojo I was attending was extremely top heavy. 5 people in the dan grades, 3 ikkyu, 4 nikkyu, and a single, lonely gokyu. We got to play with the entire curriculum and figure out what worked for some, what didn't work for others, and what was kind of just junk. In an effort to stay "traditional," I think we lose the ability to evolve. I convinced my instructor to get rid of finger tip pushups, because it's been shown to actually weaken the joints over time. If you want to improve hand strength and gripping, the kami (weighted jars) is about as good as you can get. Sports science has been changing a lot of things, some things in the martial arts need to be updated, some don't.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Yes, I think it's an important componant of any system. And honesty is important.

This is where armored attackers come in very use. They, fo course, have to give you a good energy.

we all have different body types so just because something does not work for you the way you were taught it, then why dont you try and figure out what it is about the specific technique that doesnt work well for you and try to make little adjustments to see if you can make it work for you? just my opinion

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

In an effort to stay "traditional," I think we lose the ability to evolve.

I think that this is the single biggest detrimant to many MA styles, and also the source of many of the ego-conflicts that go on between the "traditionalists" and the newer age "MMAist."

we all have different body types so just because something does not work for you the way you were taught it, then why dont you try and figure out what it is about the specific technique that doesnt work well for you and try to make little adjustments to see if you can make it work for you? just my opinion

There is validity to your statement. But, I think in the end, you have to decide how much time it will take to tailor something to yourself like that, and if the time it will take is worth the time that could have been dedicated to something that you knew already worked for you, and could be honed and serve the same end. I see the point behind either approach. It just depends on if one is worried about making it all work, or not.

we have a lifetime to perfect our art< just because something doesnt work well now does not mean that in 30 years when you are slower and have more experience under you that it wont.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

That's the argument I usually hear about such discussions, unknown. And it's not without merit, but one has to take a look at why they are doing a certain art.

If your goal is effective self defense, as mine usually has been, then it's difficult to say that 30 years of practice is efficient use of time. Conflict can and will happen NOW. Therefore, it's a good idea to look at what you can effectively make work now.

This doesnt' mean that if your goals aren't sd, that working 30 yrs on something isn't worthwhile, it's about what you need out of what you do. It doesnt' even mean that you can't work on stuff that is accessory in nature for 30 if you're doing sd, but you'd best not put all your eggs in that basket.

just my view.