• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

RIP George Steinbrenner

bushido_man96

Story: http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5375561

I'm sure Patrick will be especially struck by this, being a huge, dedicated Yankees fan. I know Bob here is a big fan, as well. Many know that I am no Yankees fan, but my thoughts and prayers go out to the Steinbrenner family, and the Yankees organization. Love or hate him, one cannot deny the level of success he brought to New York and the Yankees organization.

RIP George Steinbrenner. :(

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nice post Brian...thank you for it!

RIP George and Bob! The All-Star Game did some nice classy stuff during the game to commemorate them both...it was nice.

:(

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Story: http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5375561

I'm sure Patrick will be especially struck by this, being a huge, dedicated Yankees fan. I know Bob here is a big fan, as well. Many know that I am no Yankees fan, but my thoughts and prayers go out to the Steinbrenner family, and the Yankees organization. Love or hate him, one cannot deny the level of success he brought to New York and the Yankees organization.

RIP George Steinbrenner. :(

I have to re-post bushido_man96's classy statement because I couldn't have said it better.

Truth be told, I'm a bitter baseball fan that can't discuss anything baseball without launching into a rant about my team... I'm an Oriole fan :D

Seriously though, the man cared about the Yankees and he cared about the NY fans. He put the best team on the field he was able to assemble. He was willing to pay a player but he expected that player to produce and if that player didn't produce, there were consequences. I would love to have an owner that cared... see, here I go :lol:

The Boss... RIP

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Brian. I appreciate you posting this. Sorry for the delay in responding to this. Well said, GeoGiant.

Very sad. But, when I heard the news, one of the things I thought was that it made me even more glad that we won last year. A bit more fitting. My thoughts are certainly with his family.

The polarizing persona aside, he helped a lot of people and I suspect we'll hear more and more about how he helped folks privately without the press knowing, now that he has passed.

As a sports fan, he was my kind of owner and it's hard to argue with 7 titles in 27 years. As a whole, I think he was good for the game and hope that, now that he's gone, he'll finally get an appropriate look for the Hall of Fame.

Bob Sheppard also passed away, shortly before Mr. Steinbrenner did. They'll both be missed.

Rest in peace.