• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's Official!

sensei8

I've placed this post here in "Karate" because I'm a karateka. If it would serve better somewhere else, please move it accordingly.

Our annual testing cycle at the Hombu has been concluded. My sincerest congratulations and best wishes go out to each and every testing candidate, whether theirs was successful or not.

Now, for the message at hand. It's offical! My time and my days are at hand, thus they're at past, within the Shindokan Hombu as its Kaicho as well as its Chief Instructor.

It's with great sadness that I must vacate a position of honor as well as a privilege, as I had promised when I submitted my resignation to the Shindokan Hombu on 05/04/2010 at 0820 hours; to those that were in attendance at our Hombu’s monthly open-meeting. Even still, I find myself full of great joy and excitement as my replacements have been nominated, and now, they've been elected unanimously to fill the following positions within the Shindokan Hombu.

1) San-Dai Soke: Iwao Takahashi, *Judan (Hachidan and Son of Dai-Soke Yoshinobu Takahashi; Judan, and former member of the Board Of Regents ~ Director, Assistant Manager of Technical Department & Qualifications Department)

2) Kaicho: Greg Forsythe, *Kudan (Hachidan and Former Kancho & General Manager of Technical Department & Qualifications Department)

3) Chief Instructor: Thomas Stillwater, Hachidan (Former member of the Board Of Regents ~ Assistant Director, Assistant Manager of Technical Departments & Qualifications Department). *Note: Newly appointed Dan ranks per the Shindokan Articles and By-Laws!

This is a brand new chapter for the Shindokan Hombu. A chapter that has yet to still be written, but, its authors are more than qualified to write, and as equally prepared to march the Shindokan Hombu as well as the entire student body into a bright and promising future. New nominations and new elections will take place in the next few weeks to fill those positions that have been vacated to fill the top seats of the Hombu.

What happens to me at this point isn't of any significance. Although, I've chosen to accept the title Kaiso (Senior Advisor), but, I'll fulfill this position from afar. First, Kaiso is a part-time position/pay. Second, I'll be back with my wife and kids on a full-time basis in Oklahoma.

When I took the positions within the Hombu as Kaicho/Chief Instructor, I did it, and the Hombu gladly accepted these conditions, with the complete understanding and knowledge that I'd be working in the Hombu Monday - Friday; 5 days a week, and then I'd go home to my family on the weekends. Hence, I flew back and forth quite a lot. I go back to the same city, Owasso, to the same street, and to the same house that my family and I have known for so many years. Don't let anybody tell you that working in another state while you're away from your family is easy, because it's not. Our entire family has invested so much where we live in Oklahoma. Our kids are established in school and the like, that for my wife and I, we didn't want to disrupt this balance. Our kids are old enough to understand that I went to the Shindokan Hombu during the weekdays was just a place where I did my job, even though my wife and kids know my endless love for the martial arts, Shindokan, is paramount while I'm on the floor. God first, my family second, and Shindokan third!

I gave, yes, I gave, my most senior student my Kyuodan dojo. I wasn't in a position to do both, working in the Hombu as well as being Chief Instructor of the Kyuodan dojo. Now, upon my return to Oklahoma, I won't be taking over the Kyuodan dojo because the Kyuodan dojo already has a Chief Instructor, if the Kyuodan dojo is still in operation.

Why resign? This is personal and private, therefore, I'd prefer to keep it that way, for the time being. Why tell members of KF? That's easy. KF and its members have always been my trusted and admired friends outside of the Shindokan Hombu!

Thanks for listening!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's quite a lifestyle change. I'm sure the dojo will miss you, but they must be happy that you'll get to see your family full time. Best of luck with the transition back and into a new part of your life.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Osu!!!

May God, guide you in your life's new path Amen

Sensei. you don't need a dojo to practice Kara Te, just an open space.

I am sure you will be able to practice it to a deeper level now and I would love to read your book on your life and trials in Karate

Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I’ve not walked away from the martial arts. NO! On the contrary!

I will continue on my journey. I will continue to be a student of the martial arts. I will continue to seek and explore, and in that, I will continue to discover the untold and unfounded possibilities that are still within the martial arts. I will continue to be what I’ve always been…a martial artist! I will continue to seek perfection in my techniques, but I know that I will never find that perfection. Why? Perfection is an illusion that evades us all because we’re not perfect and we will never be. It doesn’t mean that we have to stop trying! I’m proud to wear the badge proudly and I’m not ashamed to wear the badge. What badge? The badge that says I’m a martial artist, and it’s in my heart...forever!

The martial arts will forever be in my life…always! I can no more remove the martial arts from my life, than I can remove the air that I breathe; they both sustain me! To deny me of either, denies me of life.

Still, I find me asking myself a reoccuring question...

Have I walked away from my students? I'm not sure that there is even an answer for this question that will satisfy the critics or myself. Possibly, I'm just being selfish in asking this question of myself, over and over. Perhaps I feel guilty for one reason or another because I am imagining in my mind that I've abandoned them in reality.

The martial arts and my students will be in my life forever!

Congrats on rejoining your family full time and good luck establishing your new path!

I'm sure your hombu dojo students will miss you, but I imagine you're leaving them in good hands. Not knowing details, I'd guess the guilt or whatever you feel is likely unjustified.

When you speak of the Kyuodan Dojo, are you talking about the one you mention in the other thread on Sherman Way near White Oak. You don't know if they're still around? Would you like me to look into it? I could run by there or make a couple of quick inquiries. If they're gone, I have some customers in that area that might know something. I see Cecil Peoples 2 or 3 times per week. He's teaching out of the House of Champions these days, on Saticoy near Louise.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

Being away from the family would be very tough, and I commend you for being able to do it for as long as you did.

Are you going to at least go back and maybe work out at your old school? It could almost be like being a full time student again! :)

And I didn't know you were originally living in Oklahoma. That is a bit closer to Kansas, you know. ;)

Congrats on your decision and welcome back to the midwest!

When you speak of the Kyuodan Dojo, are you talking about the one you mention in the other thread on Sherman Way near White Oak.

You don't know if they're still around?

No, that Kyuodan Dojo is closed, and has been since very early 1999. I know this as a fact because...I owned that Kyuodan Dojo. Each dojo I've owned, one in California and one in Oklahoma, I named them both Kyuodan Dojo.

Saticoy and Louise...old stomping grounds. Memories!

Edited by sensei8