• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Annoyed by BJJ?

I am obviously a die hard BJJer. I find I often often get hyper defensive responses from many traditional martial artists. I have extensive knowledge in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu / Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Sambo, Wrestling and Judo. I only wish to be productive and helpful. So with that said what is it that erks you? I would like to hear some honest answers please.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the older guys, well the guys that have been around for a while, get annoyed at how cocky the vocal people are. There are a lot of people out there, who just want to teach. Matt Serra for one, on here, you for another, but there are too many cocky university students who take BJJ in some university club, and think they can take on the world. That's the most vocal side, and unfortunately for every group, that's the side that gets the attention. I'm pretty sure that's where a lot of hostility comes from. I'm in no way saying that a lot of the cocky guys can't back it up, it would just help if they weren't so vocal about it.

I've also heard, from too many BJJ people, about the ills of taking a traditional Okinawan/Korean/Japanese martial art. I understand preaching about the ills of belt factory McDojos, but not all traditional places are like that. The good ones may be in the minority at this point, unfortunately, but not all are like that.

I honestly, am not sick of BJJ at all. I've considered taking it several times, it's just opportunity, money, and time. I am sick of the guys with BJJ white belts, who have been doing it for like 4 months, telling me they can take on anybody who has only trained in traditional martial arts.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Most of the older guys, well the guys that have been around for a while, get annoyed at how cocky the vocal people are. There are a lot of people out there, who just want to teach. Michael Cera for one, on here, you for another, but there are too many cocky university students who take BJJ in some university club, and think they can take on the world. That's the most vocal side, and unfortunately for every group, that's the side that gets the attention. I'm pretty sure that's where a lot of hostility comes from. I'm in no way saying that a lot of the cocky guys can't back it up, it would just help if they weren't so vocal about it.

I've also heard, from too many BJJ people, about the ills of taking a traditional Okinawan/Korean/Japanese martial art. I understand preaching about the ills of belt factory McDojos, but not all traditional places are like that. The good ones may be in the minority at this point, unfortunately, but not all are like that.

I honestly, am not sick of BJJ at all. I've considered taking it several times, it's just opportunity, money, and time. I am sick of the guys with BJJ white belts, who have been doing it for like 4 months, telling me they can take on anybody who has only trained in traditional martial arts.

Thank you for that. I really wish to bring my area of expertise to the table when it is asked for and relevant. I'm highly confrontational and outspoken but Patrick is teaching me to be more patient and careful with my words! lol But i don't look at martial arts the way the BJJ babies do. They are just excited and full of testosterone. I used to be one of those guys back 10 years ago when I first started. I didn't make many friends that way, so I understand where everyone is coming from. My travels have taught me different. I have been in front of a few styles that have more than gained my respect. I've gathered it's all in how you train and why. I hope this topic will allow some constructive venting and better understanding and bridge some gaps.

I edited my post, for some reason I typed Michael Cera, the actor. I meant Matt Serra the fighter haha. It must not have updated when you posted. Oh well.

I think venting about styles in a constructive manner is a great thing. I'm glad you posted this, and it shows me that you're looking inward. I think we all need to take a look at the state of our own martial art as well. Not necessarily our school in particular, but the reputation of the martial art we do, and why it exists. It's hard, if you go to a good school (which are getting fewer in number, or at least percentage these days), to hear people trash the style you do. What you (a general you, not YOU you) have to realize, and what I've realized, is that your school doesn't represent the whole. That is sad.

What I find awesome about BJJ is the quality control. You can verify who people trained under and how that all leads back to a main person be it a Gracie, Machida, what have you. The people who run their mouths aren't representative of the whole. Most of the BJJ guys and girls I have met are awesome, fun people, who give their martial art a good name.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Nothing, I haven't noticed anything like that.

But, if you start getting really annoyed with some certain style's practitioners, you start looking for arrogange and smugness every time you meet someone who does that style. Whitch might make you see the smallest pride that he/she has of his/her own style as arrogange, exaggeratedly.

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

Nothing, I haven't noticed anything like that.

But, if you start getting really annoyed with some certain style's practitioners, you start looking for arrogange and smugness every time you meet someone who does that style. Whitch might make you see the smallest pride that he/she has of his/her own style as arrogange, exaggeratedly.

Good point.

JiuJitsuNation,

I've nothing but respect for you and your knowledge in a plethoria of MA, especially BJJ. I've not been offended by you in any of your posts, as a matter of fact, your posts are solid, and in that, you make me think/rethink the many possibilities that may or may not exist inwardly as well as outwardly with myself and Shindokan. I thank you!

Now...

As far as the BJJ practitioners in general, I feel that the Japanese/Okinawan styles and their practitioners, I'm of a traditional old school Okinawan style, have been, and are being labeled as most ineffective across the board. Most BJJ practitioners that I've spoken/trained with only know traditional Japanese/Okinawan styles from the outside, and not from the inside. To pass an ill judgement about ALL Japanese/Okinawan styles and their karateka's as being the most ineffective across the board, imho, is unfair to label and assume anything without extensive personal knowledge about the style, and about the karateka themselves.

One bad apple does spoil the whole bunch, but, I've prided myself to seperate myself from those bad apples, whomever they might be, and to remain that way.

Imho, Bruce Lee said it best...

"There is only one type of body, 2 arms, 2 legs, etc that make up the human body. Therefore, there can only be one style of fighting. If the other guy had 4 arms and 2 legs, there might have to be a different one. Forget the belief that one style is better than the other, the point of someone that does not just believe in tradition, but actually wants to know how to fight is to take what you need from every martial art and incorporate it into your own. Make it effective and very powerful, but don't worry if you are taking moves from many different arts, that is a good thing."

Mine, yours, theirs; it's not that I'm blinded by Shindokan, no, it's just that I'm aware of Shindokan's abilities, as well as the abilities of each and every style of the martial arts. Therefore, with abilities comes disabilities; no matter the practitioner and/or the style.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!