• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Finger breaks

I think the mindset of the person who received the broken finger is more important than the actual pain it causes. I've known plenty of guys who continued to play in an important game for a contact sport despite being injured (including myself). The average person who gets a broken nose will be more likely to give up than a guy who has a tougher mindset. This mindset is what separates survival from loss of life, why some guys can get shot once, curl up, and die, while others can get shot multiple times yet survive. If you have that "never quit" attitude, a broken finger will probably not slow you down as much as it would Joe Average.

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The toughness and desire of a person who fractures a finger through typical sports or work will probably come into play much more than if multiple fingers are snapped and continued to be bent after the fact. I've seen guys tough out fractured bones before, even pretty major ones, but when the bone snaps and shoots out of the flesh...their mental resolve usually goes out the window with it.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

Finger breaks are something that people often take for granted. I've had people attempt to break my fingers before- when I decide to pull away its very difficult to hold on to a small digit. Its something thats much more difficult than people would think (certainly moreso than just "grab the finger and twist").

• 2 weeks later...

Breaking a finger can be way more painful than you think. It doesn't matter what size the person is, they will always feel the pain.

But what's more important about finger locks is that you can manipulate someone and injure to a degree. You don't always want to fatally damage someone. Applying a finger lock can allow you to control a situation for safety.

https://www.bladesmartny.com - tactical knife fighting and street fighting self defense

• 7 months later...

Something an LEO and former Marine was telling me he learned a time ago was not only breaking that finger, but also maintaining a hold of said broken finger. That would be very nasty, I think. And I never thought of breaking a finger, and then keeping a hold of it. I just always thought, "break and let go." Holding on to it just makes so much more sense to me now!

Seems effective to me. I don't know how anyone can keep up an assault with a broken finger.

With adrenaline going, you'd be surprised. I've encountered guys who broke their hands assaulting somebody yet still kept using that same hand to continually pound their victim. You usually don't feel the pain until afterwards.

Seems effective to me. I don't know how anyone can keep up an assault with a broken finger.

With adrenaline going, you'd be surprised. I've encountered guys who broke their hands assaulting somebody yet still kept using that same hand to continually pound their victim. You usually don't feel the pain until afterwards.

Yep. That adrenaline does magical things at times. I've seen the same when people get pepper-sprayed. Personally, I will never carry the stuff.

• 5 months later...

Can't quite visualize what the situation was from that description. Seems like you should be able to do your standard release, though, turning out through the mouth of the hand away from the palm.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia