• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello!

AndySike

I there a reason in particular you are concerned with getting ranked quickly? Or just concerned that you may work hard and not get recognized often enough. I think possibly you could be setting yourself up for disappointment wherever you go. Some have minimum time requirements and so forth.

Here is a quote for you:

Don't go around chasing your dreams, just focus on being great. Once you are great, your dreams will chase you.

Here's another:

Student "Only some people get what they want!"

Teacher"Yes, and those are the ones showing up to get it."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to KF, Andy! :karate:

Here's the thing. I wanted to join Karate for intense workouts, learn to defense, and the feeling that the harder the work the faster you learn and get ranked. Also, I wanted to compete. But, from what I've read Doshinkan seems to be to complete opposite, and you can only get promoted by the actual head of the organization?

Thanks for adressing my questions!

I wouldn't worry about getting ranked fast. Worry about training hard, and what you are learning. The quality of what you learn is more important than the quanitity of ranks you can accumulate. Find out if the school is into competitions or not...not all of the do it or support it, and therefore, won't train for it.

Welcome to KF, Andy! :karate:
Here's the thing. I wanted to join Karate for intense workouts, learn to defense, and the feeling that the harder the work the faster you learn and get ranked. Also, I wanted to compete. But, from what I've read Doshinkan seems to be to complete opposite, and you can only get promoted by the actual head of the organization?

Thanks for adressing my questions!

I wouldn't worry about getting ranked fast. Worry about training hard, and what you are learning. The quality of what you learn is more important than the quanitity of ranks you can accumulate. Find out if the school is into competitions or not...not all of the do it or support it, and therefore, won't train for it.

Thanks for the replies! The reason I want to be moved up for knowing the actual stuff is because I'll be moving in 2 years and I want to get the most out of it, incase it doesn't transfer over to another school. I will be trying out the Karate Doshinkan thursday. They don't have any contact in their karate, which means no sparring, no competitiveness.

So thats kind of a let down already before I go. Because I work harder when there is competition. Not to say I won't in Doshinkan, but its mostly Kata workouts.

I there a reason in particular you are concerned with getting ranked quickly? Or just concerned that you may work hard and not get recognized often enough. I think possibly you could be setting yourself up for disappointment wherever you go. Some have minimum time requirements and so forth.

Here is a quote for you:

Don't go around chasing your dreams, just focus on being great. Once you are great, your dreams will chase you.

Here's another:

Student "Only some people get what they want!"

Teacher"Yes, and those are the ones showing up to get it."

Great stuff there and thanks I will take that into account.

If you're worried about starting it because you're afraid you won't like it. The remedy to that is to jump in and find out. First go and watch a couple of classes, if you haven't already done so, and if you have the opportunity to ask questions before or after class, do so. Then start training. If you don't like it, then you can try something else. If you do like it, then you may have found something that can bring you a lifetime of benefits and enjoyment if you let it.

As has been said already, you get out of martial arts what you put into it.

Best of luck and enjoy!