• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What would you do in this choke situation?

He posted it exactly to see what people would say. Most martial artists would say they're they're person being choked, and this is what they'd do. I remember hearing this done at a seminar or something before. All the people they asked talked about getting out of the choke, no one talked about how to maintain the choke. It was done to show that most people are very passive in self defense and not proactive.

That's the same they did in that ad too. I never understood it as I always thought "Squeeze tighter!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagined myself as a third person watching on...

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

A lot of people look at themselves as a bystander as well. Half the students in my school took that approach. My initial reaction was two sided like ps1's original post.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I like to win, so I try to never think about losing. Character flaw.

Not a flaw. Just a different mindset than about 90% of the people out there.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Definitely not a flaw.

Close your eyes for a moment. Not yet, read this first. lol Picture two individuals, one standing before another who is kneeling. The standing figure has hands wrapped firmly around the others throat. The kneeling individual grasping at the others hands and gasping for breath.

How would you respond to this situation?

Ok, I saw some of the others responses on the 3rd page, but, when I read this, I guess that we are to put ourselves as the person being choked, and discuss how to get out of it.

That said, I think the first thing I would do is try to stand up. The power of my legs should overcome his arms trying to hold me down and choke at the same time, so I would try to stand. Once up, I would commence hard striking on any and every target available to me, including the arms, if none else is available. Perhaps multiple kicks to the groin would convince him to use his hands for some other purpose.

It has its downsides. Ever play a game with your significant other and let her win? Yeah, that's really tough for me to do. And she's just as competitive as I am.

I also can occasionally overestimate myself, which is one reason why I enjoy sparring as it keeps me grounded in reality.

• 1 year later...