• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which do you prefer?

joesteph

Which do you prefer if you had a choice?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer if you had a choice?

• The person as opposed to the machine
    • The machine as opposed to the person
    • The person if the line's not too long
    • The machine if the line's not too long
    • I have no preference

When I was back in school, a study about people making purchases included people buying from a person at a counter as opposed to from a machine. Overwhelmingly, people preferred to purchase when they saw someone at the counter, rather than the machine next to it. (Like, say, a can of soda.)

When I go to the supermarket, I tend to go to the local A & P. There are many cashier aisles, and a number of self-service checkout aisles as well. Repeatedly, when self-checkout was introduced, there'd be few people at the self-checkout, but a line at each with a cashier. I've noticed that the number of cashier checkouts that are not in service has grown, meaning longer lines. There were occasions when I just didn't have the time to wait on these longer lines because there were so few cashier ones open, so I used the self-checkout. Now I find myself not even hunting for an open cashier checkout. (I said "hunting" because that's what it feels like.) Just tonight I realized that I haven't used a cashier checkout at the A & P in about a month; it's like I've been on automatic to go to the self-checkout.

But I feel I'd rather use a checkout with a cashier than the machine.

If you're someone like me, in at least one situation with self-checkout v. cashier checkout, then if given a choice, which would you prefer to use?

BTW, the fly in the ointment about today was that there was someone who would have been ahead of me in each self-checkout. I chose the one with the person who had the least to buy, the same as I would if there were only cashiers.

Poll above

EDIT: Added bold.

Edited by joesteph

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like the machine for small purchases and the person for large ones. :D

If I'm buying a few items, the person slows the transaction down because I have to hear about bonus cards, etc. However if I'm buying a weeks worth of stuff the person helps because I can bag while they scan.

Depends how much I've got, if its only a couple of items I'll use the machine because its quicker but for same reasons Geo said I'll use the person if I've got more stuff. A lot of the places here also have rewards schemes so if I've got vouchers to use I'll go with the person because too often the machine screws it up and doesn't want to accept them.

But my mum will still queue for ages for a cashier, she really doesn't get along with technology.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

But my mum will still queue for ages for a cashier, she really doesn't get along with technology.

I thought of this as an option, too, Danielle, but I didn't put it separately because there can be several reasons for each answer.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I've used the machines before and I just generally prefer a person. For the same reason I go into the pharmacy to pick up my prescription rather than using the drive through, or talk to someone in person rather than making a phone call.

I like to work with people over machines, face to face, not over phones or through windows.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

The main thing for me is it seems like the machine's are still too much of a hassle. Making sure the item is in the bag, that I do things in the correct order, etc. Half the times I've used one, I've needed help from an attendant. lol. And it's not like I'm technologically challenged. So, I just opt for the person.

If I knew it would be a seamless process to use the machine, I wouldn't hesitate to use it, if I felt it would be faster.

Patrick