• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would Ya' OR Wouldn't Ya'?

My instructor is probably around 6 foot tall and much stronger than me (shes female but shes tall and muscular). I'm only 5'3". She far outclasses me in size, strength, and skill. If she wasn't doing well I think I'd be more likely to get in the way than anything else, and make it harder on her because she would have to feel like she would need to protect me as well as herself.

If she was in a fight I would immediately find help.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many things can go wrong in a fight. I would do what I could to stop the fight, break it up, as soon as possible. It isn't worth stroking someone's ego to let a fight go like that. Real life isn't like the movies.

Depends which one of them it is. In most cases I'd help stop the fight but one of my instructors is 6'4", 200+ lbs and a former doorman so if someone's managing to beat him up, there's not much I'm going to be able to do to stop it. Just be getting myself into trouble. But if it was one of the other one's I'd probably be straight in there. I don't need to see them prove themselves.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

True story Bushido. However statistically most fights are about ego and neither person really wants to hurt the other. Mostly they just want to look cool in front of someone. Most fights end without anything following ie. injuries, charges, them knowing each others names.lol

Jump in- immediately, with no questions asked.

I don't like the "see if he can handle himself" idea. There are too many varables in true combat that can allow even a superior fighter to be beaten. Espicially if there might be weapons involved. Mass (ie. more people) win fights. I'd be furious if one of my people let me hang in the wind. I wouldn't do it to anyone else either.

\

For the most part, I agree. Depending on the circumstances, such as just one opponent, I might just stand back and be there if needed, but otherwise not get involved. Multiple opponents, you betcha! I'm there for ya sensei!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

it depends on your expectations from the class you're taking:

Did you take that MA to lose weight or stay in shape/health? In that case well, of course you'll try to break the fight... you're not expecting to receive self-defense skills from the class.

If you actually joined the class to learn to fight and the sensei told you he could teach you that, then that's different. However, that's where my philosophy comes to mind: A great teacher does not need to be great at that to teach it, he/she just needs to have been great at it in the past.

Take boxing, for example, boxing coaches may not be able to hold themselves in a fight anymore. Some are old and out of shape (think of rocky's coach as an example of the stereotype). But in their prime, they were good. It might be the same case with a sensei, he can be older, out of shape, etc, especially since he'd most likely be fighting a thug. If he can't hold himself in a fight NOW it doesn't mean he couldn't in the past.

I guess you have to look at a sensei's credentials instead. If the dude was never good at fighting, then that's different (think of a taekwondo teacher that can teach you chamber punches and fast snap kicks WTF style but he never had experience out of that... would you trust him your self defense?)

Of course I'd help him if he wanted/needed my help. But, I don't think he'd ever need it because, for one thing, he can fight, and I mean he can fight. For two, I'd just love to see him do his thing. I'm sick that way!

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I guess you have to look at a sensei's credentials instead. If the dude was never good at fighting, then that's different (think of a taekwondo teacher that can teach you chamber punches and fast snap kicks WTF style but he never had experience out of that... would you trust him your self defense?)

WTF fighters fight to KO, as well as points. They are fast, too, and are used to sparring with contact. That's why they wear the chest protectors...because none of them want a caved in chest from taking a spinning side kick counter. So, yeah, I'd trust it.