• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the linked things don't sound that strange to me. As a kid, I put potato chips on tuna sandwiches, and used to always salt my watermelon. I think I was even served cayenne pepper and mango somewhere, and cheddar with apple pie. I didn't love the last two.

One somewhat odd combo I eat is chocolate and potato chips (bite of chocolate, eat a chip). Now, any time I each chocolate, I crave potato chips. Wavy Lays work best for me. In Hawaii, I found a place that had potato chips crumbled into the chocolate, but the chip to chocolate ratio was way too low. I heard about a place on Hollywood Blvd that sold potato chips dipped in chocolate, but they closed before I got around to looking for them.

Anyone ever eat tamago-gohan? It translates as egg-rice. What you do is beat an egg, spice it to taste (shoyu, salt, pepper, Mrs Dash, whatever), then pour it over hot rice and mix it together. The heat cooks the egg a little, but not much. Basically, you get rice covered with raw egg. I love it! Most people would hate the texture. I don't eat it anymore because of food poisoning scares. I should make some soon, just for the heck of it.

Speaking of rice, chicken pot pie served over rice is great! This is especially good with the cheap ones that are mostly gravy. Gravy on rice is awesome! Too much crust and rice for not enough gravy can be a problem sometimes.

It's funny, when thinking about what things might be good for this post, I think about what I eat that makes my wife cringe.

That brings to mind the infamous Loco Moco. It's a Hawaiian dish. Hamburger patties on top of rice, covered with eggs (I prefer over easy, but scrambled is probably okay), all smothered with gravy. Yum!! Heart attach on a plate!

Just thinking about this stuff makes me want to go exercise.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

I don't think any of those are strange, save maybe the yogurt and coffee.

JohnASE, note on the egg thing. First, you'd smell if there salmonella problems with the egg itself, second, you can wash the outside in steaming hot water from the tap, and it'll kill the bacteria on the shell, which is where it lives. The egg inside is in a sterile environment, but it can rot as it's not in development anymore. It's a trick I learned from my bio teacher. So, just wash the eggs using extremely hot water, and you have no worries about eating them raw.

As far as strange combinations I've seen:

Kraft cheese on top of dumplings. My friend's roommate did this, and the description just made me go ew.

Kraft cheese on top of ddukbokki. Ddukbokki is a Korean rice cake and fish cake dish. It's very spicy, and the cheese just tastes weird with the type of spice they use.

Cracker salad. This one was relayed to me by a friend after he went to boot camp. Apparently, one of the guys in his boot camp group loved this. You take a full, Costco sized bottle of mayo, dump it in a bowl, and then take a full package of crackers and crush it up in to the mayo. Mix, and eat.

I don't eat a ton of strange combined foods, but I have a long list of strange foods I've eaten.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

When I was a kid I used to eat peanut butter and pickle sandwiches mostly because it grossed everyone out. They were actually pretty good, but it's not something I choose much anymore.

Ever since I stayed with a host family in Germany for 3 weeks the summer after high school I've joined their tradition of mixing beverages. I still love their combo of coca cola and orange fanta which they actually sell bottled as it's own seperate beverage down there and I make it anytime I can get my hands on Fanta. I also like their mixture of apple juice and mineral water, but they don't sell mineral water much over here.

Oh, and I have to admit I love mixing ketchup and mayo to dip my fries in.

Gravy in rice....we have that for dinner almost every Sunday at my house. I was in my teens before I found out that most people put the gravy on mashed potatoes...

Also, we eat tacos and burritos with catchup. For a taco it is shell (soft shell that my mom cooked in oil so its...a soggy soft shell), ground hamburger (usually with no seasonings), shredded American cheese, chopped tomatoes, and catchup. For a burrito it is identical, except that you use a soft shell that wasn't cooked in oil, add re-fried beans, and fold your burrito in on all four sides so that it is a square.

I like to dip my pork chops in apple sauce, a bite at a time. But I hear that apple sauce goes with pork chops so I don't know how strange that is.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Food!? Did someone say...FOOD!?!

I love #1 and #4 and #5....YUMMY!

I love a mayo and peanut butter sandwhich....[Drooling]

I love mustard on my popcorn...[slobbering]

I love dipping pickles in peanut butter...[i need a bib]

I love a sliced avocado in half, toss the pit of course, and then drown the avocado with cottage cheese and smoked oysters...[Mommy]

Possibly I've been pregnant a long time.

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The pepper and mango is actually a "traditional" dish from where my mum is from (Guyana) or at least she says so. Apparently they used to eat it as kids. Works well with a bit of salt and pepper mixed into the chilli and under-ripe mango. Only one I think is really weird in that article is the peanut butter and bacon one. Don't think I'd want to try that :P

One of my friends used to dip Quavers (a type of cheesy potato chip) into Slush Puppies. Trying to think of the weird things I eat but they seem normal to me! Gravy on stir-fried veg?

Sorry Bob but mayo and peanut butter sounds horrible! :lol:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Gravy on stir-fried veg?

Ohhh, that sounds very yummy, and I'll take two please! [Here I come to save the day]

The mayo and the peanut butter sandwhich has to have a perfect balance, or, one flavor becomes stronger than the other. Tablespoon ratio is....2 pb:1 mayo.

:P

I just tried the PB and mayo sandwich (just got home from work and I was hungry). I could only eat one half. Not absolutely horrible, but ah... well I only ate half.

How about french fries in chocolate ice cream? That's delicious (you can thank Wendy's Frosties for inspiring that combo).

I just tried the PB and mayo sandwich (just got home from work and I was hungry). I could only eat one half. Not absolutely horrible, but ah... well I only ate half.

How about french fries in chocolate ice cream? That's delicious (you can thank Wendy's Frosties for inspiring that combo).

LOL; possibly you had to much mayo and it over powered the flavor balance, it takes experimenting, but, I love the darn thing.

I've not ever tried french fries in chocolate ice cream, next time I'm in Wendy's I will; that's certainly an interesting combo.

:)