• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How often do you sparr?

Bon wrote:

"Wouldn't you spar more if you were self defense orientated ? Knowing all the techniques in the world is useless unless you can put them together in combat."

Ksn is right. My school does Chin Na on top of TKD, and Chin Na is mean s**t. You don't use it just for "play". If we did, we'd have people walking outta there with broken bones. We do practice take-downs and such during sparring sometimes (and of coarse the WTF type sparring), but we can't with Chin Na. Even the basic stuff is joint locks, so it'll be too dangerous to spar with.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I try to sparr at least once a day, except for Sundays that's my day of rest. However, lately, i've hadn't the time to sparr as much as i'd like, but that'll soon be over. I think it's healthy for a martial arts fighter to sparr regularly, it helps to prepare for unexpected combat.(of course i'm not talking about sparring with set patterns and movements, that would be pointless, and self-defeating in it's purpose.)

Understand this, a man without honor, is not a man at all, but a coward in disquise.

Animis Opibusque Parati

Three times a week. the other two are kata days and sat. and sun. we either have no karate, or a school event

Grrrrrr,

Dee :karate:

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

Three times a week. the other two are kata days and sat. and sun. we either have no karate, or a school event

Grrrrrr,

Dee :karate:

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

Sparring is what will teach you to actually fight. That's part of the reason why karateka win less in tournaments against types of arts that sparr more, such as muay thai and bjj.

Karateka have less experience in real fights, generally, so they have a disadvantage in the ring.

Sparring is very good, IMO. It develops you in many ways.

Shuriken: art of Japanese blade throwing

Shorin-ryu karate with influences from White Crane Kung Fu

15 years old

We split up into weeks, so one week every day we will spar, there will be another week where every day we focus on forms, another week where we do groundwork everyday.....this is in TKD.

BJJ, we "go live" or do randori every class. Though usually it's free sparring, we do occasionally focus on one thing, like one person can only do chgokeholds, one person can't use their arms, etc.

If you learn joint locks, why can't you practice them with the opponent signaling submission??

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

If we're lucky twice a week...And if not, only once.

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make" -Bruce Leehttp://www.myvidtodvd.com/mysmilies/otn/other/leseratte.gif

http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/xerx/smileystooges.gif