• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How often do you sparr?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just depends. I usually only spar when I got enough advanced students to help break in the new kids. I have no set order os schedule of classes. I try a spar at least once a week but at times we may go a week or so. Then we may spar 3 or 4 times in a week.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

At least once a day. Sometimes more so, but last week I was pretty busy, so not as much as I would've liked.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

I spar between 5 to 8 hours a week. Training in Sambo and competing in MMA tournaments I always have to be in shape and keep my techniques sharp.

http://www.nhbcanada.ca/Photo%20Files/NHBshadow.JPG

Tapout or pass out, it dosen't matter to me!

On 2002-07-29 22:51, karatekid1975 wrote:

We spar roughly once a week, except during testing week. My school is more self defense minded, so we work on techs more than anything.

Wouldn't you spar more if you were self defense orientated ? Knowing all the techniques in the world is useless unless you can put them together in combat.

I do BJJ, sparring is a big part of it, and I spar every lesson

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

If we haven't been focusing on something else that has taken up too much time, we spar at the end of practically every class. Especially now that we have 4 people from our class going for 1st degree black (one of those is me :wink: ), and 3 people going for 2nd degree (all at the same test), we've been really focusing on fighting. Since I teach, I really have the oppurtunity to fight about 11 times a week, max, but I'm usually busy with something else.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

On 2002-07-29 22:51, Bon wrote:

Wouldn't you spar more if you were self defense orientated ? Knowing all the techniques in the world is useless unless you can put them together in combat.

I do BJJ, sparring is a big part of it, and I spar every lesson

Not if the techniques he's referring to are joint attacks. In KSW we spar about once a week. However, more emphasis is on the techniques.

If I used any of these techniques while sparring, I would snap someone's joint.

However (again), as we get more advanced, we are practicing the techniques as a counter to an attack from a partner. That's about as close to sparring with those type of techniques you can get while still observing a sufficient amount of safety.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

The last time i sparred i ended up with a broken wrist, i went to kick the guy and ended up i suppose going a bit to fast and my momentum carried me over and i fell, heard 3 cracks and pretty much figured what happened.

I'm still a little gun shy and i know i have to get back in there and do it, but i think i'll stick to concentrating on form for a while. :blush: