• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I didn't put this under Sport because there's more damage involved in what I'm asking.

When sparring that's controlled-contact or full-contact in class, or even in a professional bout in which kicks are allowed, suppose kicks are permitted below the waist. I don't mean to the groin, but to the legs. I've only caught seeing roundhouses, whether to the outer thigh or the inner, and even to the knees in UFC.

If you practice sparring that has strikes to the legs, are side kicks to the thighs permitted? Are they permitted to the knees in a pro match? I'm aware that a Muay Thai baseball bat--I mean roundhouse using the shin--to the opponent's leg can really let him have it, but I was thinking of a greater chance of breaking the leg/knee by the side kick.

Any info, sparring or in matches?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm pretty sure a direct, frontal attack on the knee is illegal in most competitions. That's why you don't see side kicks and front kicks to the knee in competition. The possibility of severely damaging the knee ligaments and or breaking the leg would be the prime reason.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War