• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Greetings from the crazy Kyokushin chick!

evergrey

Hi there. :}

My name is Ev, and I have newly come to the discipline of Kyokushin. I have several chronic injuries, including one that 3.5 years ago left me unable to walk to sit up for a while. Thanks to my involvement in horsemanship 2 years ago, I now have a lot of physical abilities that I thought I'd lost forever. I have a number of other challenges as well, but I'm kind of extremely stubborn and not too inclined to give up on things.

Not too long ago, I met my sensei. We started out as friends, and then one night after I took my ambien we got to talking about martial arts... I knew he had spent a good amount of time training in them and instructing a bit, and we had in fact done some wrestling and grappling for fun.

I asked him if he would teach me. He thought about it a bit and told me that there would be blood, sweat, and tears. Then he accepted.

I have a great deal of respect for my sensei, and while I am a silly person who challenges him often, I take my training seriously, and I know that I will come to take it more seriously in the future.

Being my sensei's kohai and only student can get a little bit lonely at times because when he is not there I have no one to practice with, and I have no one to compare my abilities to but him. I'm hoping that I can find other people to chat with from time to time here, both in my discipline and out of it.

I have a blog, but I do warn you that I am a very silly person!

My long-term goals? Well, I just want to see how far I can take it. I am hoping I can go full contact someday when I am tougher. I don't want special treatment because I am a girl. I want to be able to fight alongside everyone else.

I don't have a rank and I might not ever have one. I'm not so interested in belts, ranks, or trophies. I hope to learn to live and know the heart and core of the martial way. I want to be a warrior, not a thug or a sports champion. Not that I think there is anything wrong with the latter! This is just where I'm at.

We don't have a dojo. The dojo is whatever space we can find to practice. It might be a horse pasture, it might be a gravel road, it might be a parking lot, it might be my little basement. Having a dojo to go to would be awesome! But we make do. And I think it's good, also, to learn to fight in more "normal" environments in street clothes, since an assailant isn't going to wait for me to get on a floor mat or change into a gi.

There is actually a kyokushin dojo about an hour or so away from me, and if I could afford to I would supplement my training there. Life is what it is though, and either way I am loyal to my sensei. He is very good to me. He works well with me. He puts up with all my craziness, and is patient with me. He understands that I have some pretty big physical challenges to work through, and patterns my training accordingly. It's still kyokushin though, and I still get plenty of bruises, hah!

OSU!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to KF!!!!!!! Many of us instructors here would love to have a student like yourself. I enjoyed your intro and I bow to you in respect! Keep training!!

:karate:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thank you, Sensei8, I'm honored by your words. Makes me all warm and glowy inside. :} I bow and return your respect- I've read a bit of what you've had to say, and I have enjoyed it.

I'll keep training, oh yes! Have a lot to do today in that respect, in fact, and I should get on that!

OSU!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

I commend you on your determination and courage to overcome the physical challenges you've faced. It shows the heart and willpower we should all have. Best of luck in your martial arts training, and welcome to the forums!