• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think of the new Karate Kid movie?

For those of you who have watched the new "Karate Kid" movie starring Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan, what do you think of it? Is it worth paying out the big bucks to see it on the big screen, or is it more of a rent it from redbox, or is it one to skip entirely? All opinions appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I really, really enjoyed it. It's definitely worth seeing on the big screen for the beautiful scenery alone.

Separate from the locale's beauty, I thought the story was solid. I wasn't happy about remaking The Karate Kid. My own weariness of remakes aside, The Karate Kid has already been remade over and over again. The protagonist moves to a new area, gets beat up by a bully, befriends a wise, older man who mentors him in the martial arts, and the hero defeats the bully in some sort of competition at the movie's climax. Never Back Down reused that plot several years ago using MMA instead of traditional martial arts. Showdown with Billy Blanks did the exact same thing in the early 90s. Kickboxer with Jean-Claude Van Damme did it, too. I wondered what was the point of reusing the original title. Why not just call it something else like all the others did?

All that being said, this version definitely feels like the spiritual remake of the original. The relationship between Chan's and Smith's characters are the heart of the story, and much more compelling than in any of the other movies. Also, I had heard Jackie Chan say in an interview that he was tired of playing his usual role. He said something to the effect that he wanted to be seen as great actor and not just a martial arts movie star. I think his role in this movie gave him a chance to branch out. He had one particularly moving scene that I'll always remember as a great performance, and it wasn't a fight scene.

Regarding the fight scenes, I thought they were well done. With the ability to use wires and professional choreographers, I was a little concerned that they'd be too fantastic. In a martial arts film, the audience automatically suspends its disbelief, accepting that an individual can be so agile, graceful, and aesthetic while beating up 10 guys. I don't think I could make that same concession for a child character. I guess I was worried the kids would do too impressive of a job, and juxtaposed with their ages, the end result would come off as absurd. That wasn't the case. I thought the fights were impressive and believable (within the realm of this fictional story, of course).

Keep in mind I'm not a movie critic. I actually have a rule that I won't watch movie trailers or commercials of a movie I know I want to see. Doing so makes it "fresher" for lack of a better word. There's no chance of having already seen the best scenes or heard the best jokes before I see the actual film. Basically, I think I enjoyed it more than the average fellow who doesn't abstain from movie trailers, but I'd still say you should see it while it's in theatres. If you don't enjoy it, just come back here and yell at me.

I'm not too wild on seeing it right now. Maybe when it makes it to rentals, I will, if the kids want to.

I don't know why they didn't call it "The Kung Fu Kid." Nevermind, I know why.

I don't know why they didn't call it "The Kung Fu Kid." Nevermind, I know why.

I'd read in passing on the Internet that in China, South Korea, and Japan, the intention is to promote it as The Kung Fu Kid. Thinking about it, Brian, it's really Westerners who have The Karate Kid from 1984 (and the sequels) more strongly in mind. Besides, the 1984 film was set in the US; this 2010 film is set in China, so it's not really a completely "American" story.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

They're marketing under the title "Best Kid" in Korea. Not sure how popular it is though.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I'm with bushido_man, much as I'm interested in it I'm just gonna wait. I'm still kinda upset on the title of it even though I know why.

I've been asked what is the difference and it annoys me a bit even though I know its just a movie.

I'm actually anticipating The Last Airbender though which I do wanna see. I need to see if there is a 3d theater around here.

• 4 weeks later...

to be honest i think there are a few certain films that should never be updated superman returns should never have been done for an example and i thought karate kid shouldnt have been re done,but with the reviews and the clips of the film im going to give it ago over the weekend(wax on -wax off)