• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you think sparring is part of learning good self defence?

But not the type of sparring where you'll see them just flop and thrash about with no feeling and meaning. Neither are blocking and everything scores and the techniques are very bad and very repetitive over and over again!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's kinda what jiu jitsu looks like in the beginning anyway! lol Professor told me(portuguese accent)"This is the way. First you learn to tap, then learn to make tap."

This I understand, but, I'm referring to schools who don't care if their students can or can't do anything effective/correctly, no matter thier rank, just as long as the student pays their money.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I didn't think everybody would agree of that.. I do though, but I have heard a lot about "sparring has nothing to do with self defence".

So, do you think Multiple grappling could replace sparring? As there is some things that are Very useful to practice for self defence. Like opponent attacting behind you. And knifes come along in time..

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

You fight how you train. And if you never learn how it feels to really punch someone, to really be punched, to really block... I think the swimming analogy is a very good one.

Me, I can make a pretty block or punch a bag well enough. It's a different story when sensei starts relentlessly hitting me. If I don't start effectively defending myself, he picks a spot and hits it over and over again until I learn. I don't know how I'd learn, truly learn, and be able to handle myself in a fight otherwise.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Yes, sparring is absolutely essential.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 3 months later...

I believe that sparring is very important in learning how to defend one's self. If nothing else it helps develop the ability to absorb a strike, and use that as a trigger mechanism to launch an attack.

Sparring is an absolute necessity as far as I'm concerned. But, care must be taken to keep it realistic. I'm not saying to beat each other senseless all the time, but there are bad habits to avoid. One example is the typical point-sparring stance. If you want to hide the areas that count as a point, turn sideways and all that can be hit is your back, this is fine for point sparring tournaments, but it is a good way to get suplexed on your head in a real fight.Another bad habit from light sparring is to hit on the last inch of your punch and think of it as a hit. A strike while sparring should land with about 6 inches of extension left so that if you did not pull your strike it would penetrate the target causing damage. Contact levels should always be agreed upon, and no one should be hit harder than they want to be hit. This being said, I feel that once in a while it is wise to spar at about 70 to 80 percent power in order to more fully appreciate the feel of combat. Another point to be made is that there should be only enough rules to keep a good degree of safety, as a rule against leg kicks for example will teach a person not to protect their legs. In the words of my instructor, "those wearing a cup will be kicked in the cup, those not wearing a cup will be kicked in the testicles." I also recommend wearing goggles and allowing finger jabs to the eyes, lightly as this can still be dangerous.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Boy, I love suplexes...

...sorry, got distracted. Back on track...

I do enjoy mixing it up in sparring at times. I remember a time once sparring with my brother when we decided to allow throws along with strikes, and I got tossed across a room. Good times. Knowing how to roll is helpful...