• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't you just love that feeling in your gut when...

SaxonPig

I definitely prefer to know. I like plenty of time to prepare and know I am ready. Then I can be confident going into it that I know what I am doing.

I've found that instructors don't always know what you know as well as they think they do. So a last minute test could leave you not being prepared. Because they THINK you have something down well but you don't. I've had more than one instructor overestimate me in that regard.

In the system I currently train under you have to earn 6 stripes on your belt, each representing a different area of the curriculum, before you can be asked to test. If you have all 6 stripes, then the head instructor will put you up for testing, if you have good behavior (and if your under 18 you are not failing a class in school). Once you are put up for testing you must pass a pre-test. If you pass the pre-test THEN you are allowed to test.

With all of this, its not unheard of to have a student fail their pre-test and so not be allowed to test.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found that instructors don't always know what you know as well as they think they do. So a last minute test could leave you not being prepared. Because they THINK you have something down well but you don't. I've had more than one instructor overestimate me in that regard.

Is the class so large that your own instructor isn't already aware of your strengths as well as your weaknesses? I'm keenly aware of my students across the board because I work with them on a nearly daily basis. So much so that I can tell if my students have practiced or not; and in that, I make my students accountable.

I too would have to imagine that your current instructor is keenly aware of you more than you might think.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Is the class so large that your own instructor isn't already aware of your strengths as well as your weaknesses? I'm keenly aware of my students across the board because I work with them on a nearly daily basis. So much so that I can tell if my students have practiced or not; and in that, I make my students accountable.

I too would have to imagine that your current instructor is keenly aware of you more than you might think.

:)

While I'd like to believe that, I doubt it is true. There are probably close to 100 students in the school, and I only see her probably twice a month. I really doubt she knows exactly where I am in my training right now.

It'd be nice if all instructors always knew where all of their students stood, but in my opinion that simply isn't the case. I have trained at 6 different schools, some schools having multiple instructors. Maybe it is the number of students the instructors had, maybe it was the fact that there was multiple instructors so the instructor deciding on rank testing didn't see the students as often, I don't know. But not all of my instructors always knew where I was in my training. I learned early on to take responsibility for myself and know where I stood.

I wonder if other people have had similar experiences?

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

While I'd like to believe that, I doubt it is true. There are probably close to 100 students in the school, and I only see her probably twice a month. I really doubt she knows exactly where I am in my training right now.

That's rough when you only see her twice a month. Therefore, your previous post makes a ton of sense to me. Being just 1 student out of 100 or so, and you only see her occasionally, well it's like being a stranger in your own school...and to your instructor(s).

:(

**Proof is on the floor!!!

... the head instructor pauses during the bowing out at the end of class to tell you (in front of everyone else in the room) to review the requirements for your next rank and start getting ready to test?

Which brings up a question. Do you prefer knowing about a test well in advance of the date; shortly before the date; or do you favor the "while we're here, let's test you for you next rank" method? I have done the last to kyu-ranked students and except for the initial shock they seem to like it. Less time to get nervous, maybe.

Knowing in advance just compounds my nerves. I'd like to try the other way once or twice, to see how I react.

im fortunate to have had instructors that would test unannounced when they thought they had to or new when some one was ready for next kyu and gave it to them after or at the end of class. my 2 sensei have told their students" testing is everyday so always put 150% into everything. if you want rank then chase after it dont make me chase after you"

heh heh

Even though it's not customary in my dojo to have surprise tests, I ended up waking my roommate this morning from a dead sleep 20 min before a belt test she didn't know she was taking because my senpai called the house inquiring about her. ...I'm kind of amazed that we were able to get to the dojo so fast.

She passed her eighth kyu test with flying colors by the way.

(Insert a proud smiley here :D :karate: :D )

now is sushi celebration time

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

• 2 weeks later...
I got told about my yellow belt test some weeks in advance. I didnt mind that - but do think it would be kind of cool to be surprised too. :)

I'm going for my yellow belt in Goju-Ryu this Saturday and I have been a nervous wreck all week. the only thing that calms me down is going to the dojo and practicing as much as possible. Since there are self defense components in the grading, I cannot just practice at home like with GekiSai-Dai-Ichi. Even then, my sempai pointed out I was using the hour-glass stance in some parts when I should have been using the forward leaning stance. One of the many benefits of regular classes. I think actually the limited space in my house was the culprit there since I keep having to shorten my stance to do the entire set.

Anyhow, I think I would prefer surprise grading myself. Less time to be nervous about messing up.

hitotsu, makoto no michi o mamoru koto

(Each person must be faithful and protect the way of truth)

• 2 weeks later...