• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't you just love that feeling in your gut when...

SaxonPig

... the head instructor pauses during the bowing out at the end of class to tell you (in front of everyone else in the room) to review the requirements for your next rank and start getting ready to test?

Which brings up a question. Do you prefer knowing about a test well in advance of the date; shortly before the date; or do you favor the "while we're here, let's test you for you next rank" method? I have done the last to kyu-ranked students and except for the initial shock they seem to like it. Less time to get nervous, maybe.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I prefer one or the other. Each have their benefits. If it is a surprise, I am glad to receive it, though not as prepared as possible, but if it is planned, I am prepared, but no as happy.

Faith without deeds, is worthless

~Namaste~

If I had to chose, then I would not want to know about the test. Because I usually get really nervous when I start thinking about messing stuff up... :(

But when the teacher keeps the test for some people, he propably is aware of the state of his students skills. Or does someones teacher do the test for someone who he doesn't know, will the student get through it or not?

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

Every day is a test....that's how it was at my dojo-sensei would tell to wear a different belt when you came back for the next class. I liked it...kept you on your game all the time.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I got told about my yellow belt test some weeks in advance. I didnt mind that - but do think it would be kind of cool to be surprised too. :)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Since I no longer qualify to be tested anymore, it doesn't bother me at all. Nonetheless, when I was testing, I personally prefer to NOT know when I was going to be tested. The sick dry humor of my Dai-Soke, he'd tells us or he wouldn't tell us about any upcoming testing cycles, and again, I loved it when he sprung them on us at the last moment.

The only exception to his twisted sick humor would be in the kyu ranks from 10th kyu to 6th kyu, and in that, he'd inform us of any upcoming tests one month before that testing cycle. From 5th kyu to Yondan he either would or he wouldn't inform us of any upcoming testing cycles.

At Godan, he wouldn't tell us NOTHING. We'd know we were about to test when he'd inform us that we could go ahead and submit our application for the next upcoming testing cycle 2 weeks out, if that. More than once he's sprung a test on a Rokudan and/or a Nanadan just after they had finished assisting a long day at the testing table.

My examination for Yondan in Kubodo was done at the end of a Kobudo seminar he was conducting at the Hombu. I had 10 minutes for get ready once he announced my surprise test. Yeah, I did fine, but, sheech.

:)

EDITS: What else, my spelling, sheech!!

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Every day is a test....that's how it was at my dojo-sensei would tell to wear a different belt when you came back for the next class. I liked it...kept you on your game all the time.

8)

Heidi...Now that's what I'm talking about...this is absolutely the greatest way to test!

Not always can this be done with us of Shindokan because both my Soke and my Dai-Soke were big on formality and big on ceremonies; they loved big parties. :P

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

=_= I'm jealous of you guys. The closest I've come to that feeling is having my sensei register me for a camp and ask my rank, then exclaim "Oh really! Still!?"

...sadly, even when given permission to test, I still have to be the one to make the decision to do so, then inevitably undergo the gauntlet of all my senpai critiquing everything I do and pounding on me for a year. There is something strangely masochistic about it. lol

Even though being told I'm testing immediately beforehand would make things easier, I don't think that it's a good idea for me at this point. After all, a new rank is a new responsibility. Having the decision to accept responsibility made for you is very different from seeking it for yourself.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro