• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Random thought-motivation.

Yesterday in class I asked the Junior class (9-12 yr olds) what it took to get good grades in school. They all seemed to agree that self-discipline to study was the key. I then asked them how to get good "grades" in martial arts to which they again agreed on self-discipline to practice as the key. I then proposed that I change our testing policy to letter grades and that no one would be promoted unless they got "straight A's". Surprisingly enough, they all thought that was a great idea. The thought then occurred to me that kids today (and even some adults) are so conditioned to a "grading system" as a measure of their success that it becomes their motivational trigger.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Think you're probably right with the "motivational trigger". Think on some level its also wanting to compete to get the top grades, either with just yourself or with your peers. We have a tiered system of "pass", "merit" and "distinction". Everybody wants a distinction next to their name and no-one really wants just a pass.

Grades also gives them feedback on how close they are to getting it totally right too. If you're a B you know you're nearly there, just a little bit more to improve. Getting an F is not so good and you know you have a lot to work on. Bit more informative than just pass or fail.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

They were still hot on the "A" trail yesterday in class and their attitude and performance were at a much higher level than usual....maybe we are on to something here :brow: !

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/