• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do you do martial arts?

Well it first started when my mom put me in self defense classes when i was about 7. Then when I was almost 13 I started doing karate and made it to purple belt ranking. After that I sorta got lost in my highschool life, and I just recently started doing martial arts again.

Since I don't make enough money to be taught martial arts, I have been practicing what I know: The basics, and a few of the Katas I can remember.

As for why I do it now...I do it sorta as a hobby, but I also do it because I want to better myself, and to be able to protect those close to me if the time comes.

What inspired you to become a martial artist?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When I was 5 my brother took a few daddy and me classes. I wanted to try it out but for some reason or other I was not able to. After that I always had some interest in martial arts but my parents could not afford it. When I was 12 my mom signed me up for a community program. I fell in love and it has been a major part of my life for the last 13 years now. I cannot imagine my future without it.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

X2, as a hobby. Just a way to get centered and focused. It also serves as a dynamic fitness method.

@ the OP, why not start free club? Like a study group of sorts. It's just my opinion that nobody should have to forgo MA participation for lack of money. Perhaps a local rec center, church, library (you never know...) would be willing to donate space in the interim.

While not the ideal way to learn, A LOT of katas step diagrams can be found online, as well as videos on YouTube. Heck, some libraries even have kata DVDs on the shelf!

There are creative ways to train, if perhaps not the most conventional.

@ the OP, why not start free club? Like a study group of sorts. It's just my opinion that nobody should have to forgo MA participation for lack of money. Perhaps a local rec center, church, library (you never know...) would be willing to donate space in the interim.

While not the ideal way to learn, A LOT of katas step diagrams can be found online, as well as videos on YouTube. Heck, some libraries even have kata DVDs on the shelf!

There are creative ways to train, if perhaps not the most conventional.

Well, I kinda already have. Me an my pal work out together at his house and spar. Though I don't teach him Karate, just like he doesn't teach me boxing. But I mainly do it to overcome my fear of being hit. Kinda like the saying goes, " You can hit someone if you are afraid of being hit." or something like that.

I don't know....(or can I say that? Of course I know!) It's just something that I have been wanting to do for a long time before I could start. But now, I'm actually happy that I couldn't start few years ago, 'cause I would not be in the style that I am now.

:)

Edited by Soheir

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

Didnt plan to become a martial artist. It was a movie - Blade - and wesley snipes and he is shotokan that did it for me. Just pretty much woke up one day and said I wanna try this what snipes does. and found out later it was called shotokan. walked into my dojo on september 10, 2009, watched for a minute and said this is what snipes does. Joined that day and never looked back. Fell totally in love. and still in it =]

I told my sensei this story - that it wasnt planned - that i never planned to become a shotokanka. it just happened. Its like it was planned for me. MY sensei looked at me and said, "Its called destiny, you were meant to meet us and to do shotokan"

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Primarily, for sd first and foremost. Everything has to relat back to that in some way.

After that, I've really gotten into the art side of BJJ just for it's sake.

When I was 5 I wanted to be a ninja when I grew up. When I was 6 I wanted to be a Power Ranger. So when I was 7 I had my mom put me on the waiting list for the free karate class at the local Boys and Girls Club and I got in when I was 8. Like some other people, other stuff got in the way, so I quit when I was 12 and then when I started college I wanted to do it again (I think Avatar: The Last Airbender started it) but I didn't have the time/money/transportation so I had to wait. Then this past December I found my old teacher on Facebook and sent him a message and a week later I started training with him again. Yes-- both times I started because of TV. But I continue because it's fun and challenging.