• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MY story

Pablo

Hi

I am pretty excited to start, so I have to type. :)

So, ever since 1st grade living in Miami Springs I used to see this place called "Ray's Tae KWon DO" and I always wanted to go, but due to my family being tight on money and my mom's anti martial arts philosophy I never did.

We moved up to central FL and I have enjoyed it. I always see a Tai Chi ojo and a Tae Kwon Do dojo on my way to school and it as always kept this flame broiling inside of me. Up until...

Well, two weeks ago my uncle took me along to a Brazilian JiuJItsu class. It changed my life. I mean, I have always been astounded by the simplist of Martial Arts but by being in a class I couldn't get over it. The BJJ class even let me know a funnier thing; I naturally do all the stuff the teacher taught on that one day. (how to break a Triangle lock and some sort of complicated posture breaking technique) which I found cool.

Now, after two days of feeling sore (Few work outs have done this to me, so I enjoyed it) I began looking at different types of martial arts and what would fit my body and preference. I came across the understanding that Korean martial arts focus on jumping kicks, which works perfectly for my persona as I am a small kid who has a great vertical. So after looking into nearby schools I got some information and called schools up.

I have an appointment for Monday, Tuesday and Thurday with a Soo Bahk Do class, Shokotan Karate(Which, I am curious in, a Hard Kicking Karate fits what I would like) and a TKD class. I plan to enroll on July 1st or 2nd after I get back from vacation. I have quite a few options for schools, not so much practises though. (Mostly Karate [Kenpo or Shkotan]TKD and on Soo Bahk do and BJJ.)

So I hope to make a good choice, because I want to stay at this school for years. I have always wante a belt and the confidence that I can fight. See, ever have I gotten into altercations with anyone other than my broters (two younger and one older). (I never hit the, I am great wrestler).

Actually, now that I think about it, it is funny. I never have punched my brothers yet they have to me and I am great at take downs. When I first went to the BJJ class I lost 1 fight, won two (against two different people). Is it possible to be a natural wrestler? Or are most martial arts based of natural human movements, just refined? You might already be able to tell, but I am really intrested in getting started.

So I will update this as time goes. Maybe I can make something of it. Does anyone have any stories they would like to share to the newbie?

Oh, and any advice on certain styles or MA in general would be much wanted. :)

"Life is not about what you have in the end, it is about what you did to get there"

"The reason most people fail is they are not prepared. Noone practises hundreds of times, but I do and I always will."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forums!

I hope you find the right school for you, it sounds like you have several options where you live. One thing to look for in the school, beyond just the style, is the teaching quality of the instructors as well as their personalities. As you visit the schools, see how well they are able to pass their knowledge on to the students. Remember, just because someone teaches a class or owns a school doesn't necessarily make them a good teacher. Some are just better at passing on their knowledge than others. Also, pay attention to the personality of the instructors and other students. These are people you're going to potentially be spending a fair amount of time around, so you want to make sure they're people you want to be around, at least within the confines of your class times.