• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would these two paired together be an effective style of fighting? I am using them for purely defensive purposes and I am a rather small person. (5'3" 110lbs).

What would be the weakness of these two fighting styles? Are there any others you would reccomend above these?

"Life is not about what you have in the end, it is about what you did to get there"

"The reason most people fail is they are not prepared. Noone practises hundreds of times, but I do and I always will."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I practice the two styles, but I don't worry about "combining" them. Use TKD when you strike, and when controls come to you, use the Aikido. Eventually, you should be able to put together some transitions.

Another issue I have is using them as what you call "purely defensive." In my mind, I translate this as "waiting to get hit," and this is a bad mindset to have. Just my two cents, though.

I practice the two styles, but I don't worry about "combining" them. Use TKD when you strike, and when controls come to you, use the Aikido. Eventually, you should be able to put together some transitions.

Another issue I have is using them as what you call "purely defensive." In my mind, I translate this as "waiting to get hit," and this is a bad mindset to have. Just my two cents, though.

Maybe I worded it wrong. I meant it as in, I will not go fight someone unless they have shown me agression. I am not a tournament fighter either. The knowleadge of both styles is so I will not have my rear handed to me.

"Life is not about what you have in the end, it is about what you did to get there"

"The reason most people fail is they are not prepared. Noone practises hundreds of times, but I do and I always will."

Sure they're a good combo. One of my instructors holds blackbelts in both and combines them pretty effectively.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

If you take 3-4 class a week how long would it tae to get a green/red/black belt?

Would these two paired together be an effective style of fighting? I am using them for purely defensive purposes and I am a rather small person. (5'3" 110lbs).

What would be the weakness of these two fighting styles? Are there any others you would reccomend above these?

Well, you need to seriously consider what the styles are good at. The problem with aikido is that so many people misunderstand what it was designed for- aikido techniques are primarily to disarm a sword bearing opponent, hence so many wristlocks off the feet.

What its not designed to do is to catch someone's punch mid flight and toss them through the air Steven Seagal style. It can be done, but only against the most novice of opponents after significant amounts of practice.

What would I recommend over it? Well, if you're looking for a grappling style, there are plenty, but I get the feeling you'd probably like judo. More effective throws with a good mix of the ground game.

Thats an interesting combination. TKD would be good for longer distances, and if the opponent closes in, you could use aikido. The only weakness you should worry about is no strikes at close range, so just remember that.

I am not a fighter, I am a guardian.

The only weakness you should worry about is no strikes at close range, so just remember that.

Why no strikes at close range? TKD uses close range strikes as well as long distance; elbows, knees, stamps, close range punching etc.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

To answer your questions about black belts in TKD, it would really depend on where you study. There are a lot of McDojangs out there that teach TKD and you can achieve a BB in a year or 2. I'd say for my school (WTF) it takes 4 - 5 years to achieve 1st dan. There's a very well recognized ITF school across town as well and there it takes a bit longer (6-7 years). I wouldn't worry about getting a black belt though so much as learning solid techniques. If you learn a good foundation of the basics then you have what you need for self defense. :karate:

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."