• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self-Training?

Hi guys,

I got reccomended here by another user from another website and I am really excited to learn all I can.

Here's my story:

I am 5'3" 110lbs sophomore in highschool. Pretty tiny kid. And I've always been intrested in martial arts. And sports (I am pretty active). I run alot (Play WR in Football) and cross country/ track. I am an outstanding jumper. The problem is, I have never been in any real fighting camps or anything of the sort (along with unofficial wrestling with family members).

I have ALWAYS wanted to be able to defend myself and I have come to the conclusion that Tradition Tae Kwon Do or Aikido will be what is for me. Here is the diliemma: My mom calls these "violent" sports. So She will never let me participate in any. So I must self-train myself.

Is it possible to get the basic's of TKD or any other martial art with out any intruction? I am talking purely me googling and practicing. I will keep myself focused if given a routine that works. Does anyone know a way to do it?

The reason I want to do martial arts is:

1) Give me an activity to do when I am bored.

2) Learn a way to defend myself.

My philosophy is "If someone hits me I want to damage them and or immobilize them with swiftness." I am not an agressive person by any means. None what so ever.

"Life is not about what you have in the end, it is about what you did to get there"

"The reason most people fail is they are not prepared. Noone practises hundreds of times, but I do and I always will."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forums :) I don't know much about self training, so I'll let others answer that for you. Just wait a while and you should get some good answers :)

Welcome Pablo :D

Those are two great styles to learn. Which style of TKD were you looking at?

Learning by yourself will be hard. Really you need to have someone there to give feedback on what you're doing and to suggest improvements. You can't really get that from videos and books. If you can't go to classes maybe find a training partner or if you have a friend that studies MA you could workout together.

Your mom lets you play football but calls MA violent? Maybe you need to show her its not. See if you can get her to watch a local class or something or even show her some vids on Youtube.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I am 5'3" 110lbs sophomore in highschool. Pretty tiny kid. And I've always been intrested in martial arts. And sports (I am pretty active). I run alot (Play WR in Football) and cross country/ track. I am an outstanding jumper.

Your mom lets you play football but calls MA violent? Maybe you need to show her its not. See if you can get her to watch a local class or something . . .

You didn't mention a male influence, Pablo, who understands the need to be able to defend yourself, either as part of the decision-making process or as someone to speak with her for you. As for DWx's observation, it's the right road to take, and all I'd add to it is that she speak with the instructor.

She may be under the false impression that learning a martial art means you go out looking for fights. I have a good friend, an adult male of age 56, who believes the same thing. Nothing is further from the truth for a true martial artist.

Again, a male can be of help to you, or a female friend who has influence with her, to get her to go with you to observe a martial arts class. Have her speak with the instructor. She may be surprised to learn just how much self-discipline and respect is intertwined with self-defense.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

She thinks fighting is a pointless task. And in my family, the males are not dominate. :P

I have gone and showed her a jiu jitsu class and taken them (because my uncle is good friends with the owner) when she is gone once in a blue moon but she is hard against it. Claims it's a waste of money. I will continue to teach her other wise.

As for training partner, my uncle and cousin and a friend go to BJJ often (2-3 times a week) so they would probably sparr with me and I also have my other siblings to play around with but I doubt any sparring would happen. I would most likely practise Aikido (forgot the name so I went based of memory).

Does anyone have tips on making your groine more flexible/good moves to practise? I have visited some websites and I am in the process of mimicking the moves they describe (Horse Stance, Back stance/basic kicks).

Also I am not ooking for being a blackbelt, but rather I am trying to improve my overall response and ability to protect myself from fights.

EDIT

DXw

The style I plan is Traditional (If that is what you mean) with more emphasis on power of the kicks than anything. I also want to pick up alot of blockin technics. None- competition training.

"Life is not about what you have in the end, it is about what you did to get there"

"The reason most people fail is they are not prepared. Noone practises hundreds of times, but I do and I always will."

I talk to my mom and we got a meeting at a local Soo bahk do school. We are going to ave a free meeting and then talk about cost and other stuff. I am really intrested in thsi, I talked wit one of there teachers and she explained it and it is exactly what I am looking for.

Mom is a little reluctant, but it is nice. When I go in, is there anyway to verify someones credintails? Like a website with lists or something?

I don't know where you live, Pablo, but the website for the US Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan is at:

http://www.soobahkdo.com/fed-web/main-page.htm

Credentials? The location and phone number of the US headquarters, which includes a school that has info on its website, are:

Hwang Soo Bahk Do

20 Millburn Avenue

Springfield, NJ 07081

Phone 973-467-3939

http://www.hwangkarate.com/index.htm

I studied Soo Bahk Do (The Way of the Striking Hand), earning the top of the three levels of green belt (4th gup). You mentioned that you're excellent at jumping, so a Korean martial art is perfect for you.

Here's a Soo Bahk Do demonstration, based on the "odd numbered" One-Step Sparring exercises:

Good luck!

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I don't know where you live, Pablo, but the website for the US Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan is at:

http://www.soobahkdo.com/fed-web/main-page.htm

Credentials? The location and phone number of the US headquarters, which includes a school that has info on its website, are:

Hwang Soo Bahk Do

20 Millburn Avenue

Springfield, NJ 07081

Phone 973-467-3939

http://www.hwangkarate.com/index.htm

I studied Soo Bahk Do (The Way of the Striking Hand), earning the top of the three levels of green belt (4th gup). You mentioned that you're excellent at jumping, so a Korean martial art is perfect for you.

Here's a Soo Bahk Do demonstration, based on the "odd numbered" One-Step Sparring exercises:

Good luck!

I live in ocala FL near Orlando. How do I enterh information to check the creditials ?

I cannot find them on the website you posted.

"The Soo bahk Do Academy"

352 236 1111

3233 SE Maricamp Road #403

Thats some basic information on them.