• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I keep seeing posts and comments on "ground avoidance" and things of this nature. So I have a few questions for everyone.

Is being attacked by a grappler a concern? Or are instructors profiting by targeting "traditional" artists fears.

Are these "courses" and "seminars" being taught by experienced grapplers??

Is there just not enough time to become proficient in all areas?

Are there no qualified instructors in your area?

Do you feel your instructor will be offended by you increasing your awareness and ability through someone else??

Looking for honest answers.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Being attacked by a grappler is a concern for me, because I know it is where I am weakest. As for the other questions, I'm not sure I have an answer there.

I do think that some traditional instructors worry about finding information somewhere other than from them. I have seen this first hand, but others may not have.

Its a concern for me for the same reasons Brian said. I'd lose if I got taken to the ground by a grappler. I've not really seen anywhere offering BJJ or another grappling style near me but there are MMA classes and I guess they must teach some component of groundwork.

I've been on a seminar where, when teaching us how to defend against knives, the master basically said: you can't learn to defend against a knife until you know how to use a knife. So he spent 30mins or so teaching us some basic ways to attack with a knife before even getting to what to do if someone came at you with one. I think in the same way you can't really defend against a grappler unless you know a little bit about grappling. Goes back to that thread where you quoted Royce Gracie.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Being attacked by a grappler is a concern for me. After my dojo started to offer a MMA class I took it and learned that I had no ground game. Unfortunately the MMA class at my dojo really hasn’t attracted many adults, mainly kids and teens. After taking the MMA class for 2 months I started to like the idea of grappling but I didn’t feel like I had people my age/height/weight to workout with so I went to a BJJ class (I still attend the karate classes at my dojo on a regular basis and I plan to continue).

With my job I attend short courses and seminars a few times a year. It has been my experience that short courses and seminars are helpful if you have a base of knowledge, even if that base is small. I want to learn to grapple and I don’t think that it is possible for me to obtain the knowledge that I want from a short course or seminar.

I guess I’m lucky because I have a qualified person in my area.

I haven’t told my karate instructor that I’m taking the BJJ class…. I’ve only taken one class at this point. I’d hope that my instructor would not be offended because there is no cross over with Tang Soo Do and BJJ.

I had no idea there was genuine concern. Hmm. There aren't many black belts out there to learn from. There are many more satellite schools slowly learning from legit sources. I would be happy to help anyone check up on a school they are or are thinking of attending. Getting some background in my opinion is crucial.

Is being attacked by a grappler a concern? Or are instructors profiting by targeting "traditional" artists fears.

Most dont know until its too late- again, its severely underestimated how effective it could be- think about the last post similar to this one (that was deleted by the mods) about stopping a takedown with an elbow to the neck.

Are these "courses" and "seminars" being taught by experienced grapplers??

Seriously, have you ever seen an "anti grappling" seminar taught by someone who appears to be at least a blue belt? Most look like they trained on the ground for about 3-4months (and have already got it all figured out!)

Is there just not enough time to become proficient in all areas?

Proficiency is relative, but with a couple years of training, you can learn well enough in all phases of a fight to take great advantage over someone who doesnt know what they're doing.

Are there no qualified instructors in your area?

Do you feel your instructor will be offended by you increasing your awareness and ability through someone else??

Looking for honest answers.

I dont think the first is so much the case in the US- perhaps elsewhere throughout the world. I would say yes to the second most likely because if someone taught standup, but really understood how effective the ground game is, they'd either be training extensively themselves or would have brought someone in to teach it at their school

Being attacked by a grappler is not a big deal for me if it's not a competition. When it's happened outside competition, they're not holding onto me for very long.

In a self defense situation, grabbing a hold of someone (unless you're a very good grappler that can execute a technique as fast or faster than I can throw a strike) only takes away some possibilities you have for striking and leaves open all of my favorite spots to attack.

In a competition, it's a totally different story for me. For some reason, I don't think to dig into the cheekbones the same way that I do in a self defense situation and I end up getting thrown. From there I either pull off a counter submission or I get submitted myself.

Being attacked by a grappler is not a big deal for me if it's not a competition. When it's happened outside competition, they're not holding onto me for very long.

In a self defense situation, grabbing a hold of someone (unless you're a very good grappler that can execute a technique as fast or faster than I can throw a strike) only takes away some possibilities you have for striking and leaves open all of my favorite spots to attack.

In a competition, it's a totally different story for me. For some reason, I don't think to dig into the cheekbones the same way that I do in a self defense situation and I end up getting thrown. From there I either pull off a counter submission or I get submitted myself.

Again, there are options that are there when you grapple someone, and options that are not there. Sure, grabbing someone CAN take away some striking positions, but it certainly sounds as if you're not being grabbed by people who know how to take advantage of it.

Predominately we're talking elbows and knees from a clinch when you're striking within a grapple. Unless you've dominated the clinch at this point, your attempt to attack is probably going to lead to you being taken to the ground.

Again, we're not talking some stooge who tries to tackle you- such a person doesnt really know what hes doing- but someone with the same amount of training on the ground as you have on the feet.