• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Training in Pool?

nanook660

Has anyone heard of or tried Karate Training in a Swimming Pool (Training Pool)?

I've see Naihanchi done in a Pool, and tonight in Class my fellow Karateka mentioned about doing the Kicks in a Pool, especially the Ura Mawashi Geri. I guess it can be done if she mentioned it.

I am just wondering if anyone has tried it and knows what other Karate Drills could be done in a Pool?

Fran

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

my old shotokan teacher talked about water training. it builds speed and power and keeps the body cool when training for a while. we used to have our tai kai's at the beach once or twice a year. it helps at the beach or in the pool with balance also but the beach helps a bit more of course with the waves and currents pooling back out. its an awesome way to keep cool and practice.......... boy do i wish i had a pool.

Well this might not be what you're looking for, but the other day my friend and I were in the pool and decided to practice jiu jitsu! It was really fun, but I don't know how well karate would work!

I've taught karate classes in two different health clubs where we had the opportunity to do karate training ibn the pools, and it's GREAT! The water resistence gives you a great workout when practicing kicks, punches and blocks. The best way to do it IMO is to have everybody wear sweat shits and pants (clean of course) as the added weight really makes those muscles burn in a short while, yet you remain cool.

I had everybody get in the pool so that the water was up to their necks and we went through the basic blocks, kicks and punches, just like we do every class, then started working on combinations.

Everybody had a GREAT time and everybody was really tired at the end of an hour class.

I whole heartedly recommend this type of training when possible.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Training in the pool is AWESOME and fun. The only bad thing about pool training is....getting out!

I'm a proponent of training in the pool whenever appropriate. Talk about resistence training....WOW!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Used to enjoy running down the beach and than using the water to train Kata. The water training was intense. Come to think of it, running in sand was pretty good also.

I have trained in a pool. It helps to perfect form since gravity is almost negligible in water. Also, doing kicks will be ten times harder because of the water resistance. It builds you up much faster and if done while practicing perfect form you can benefit highly considering my form comes out twice as good after water training.

Faith without deeds, is worthless

~Namaste~

• 1 year later...

Yes any training of any sort in the pool is excellent!!!

I always advise jump kicks are where one develops confidence as that's all that stops one from doing them correctly

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)