• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Kid Movie

Figured I would start this since the movie opens tomorrow.

What is everyones thoughts on the Karate Kid remake?

Anyone use it to market or go on a enrollment drive?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think it's going to be some marketing for kung fu, but why is it karate kid, or is there a reason for that?

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

I'm planning on going to see it. It looks ok. I'm not really big into remakes, though. The original is always better. Plus I feel like this is just going to perpetuate the idea people have been gaining in recent years that karate is all about doing super high flying double back flip kicks. I much preferred the simple yet effective Okinawan style of the original karate kid movies. I think the fact that the movie will be so jump-flip-kicky will make a lot of kids dissapointed when they enroll in an actual dojo if they're expecting to learn what Jaden Smith will do.

Wow! My school and myself went and hung out in the lobby with a spin wheel for karate prizes and a free 2 week 'guarenteed prize' of karate classes over the first 2 days of opening and got a ton of intro appointments! I thought the movie was good too. Saw it Fri night.

Several of my students and myself saw it together after doing some small kicking and board breaking demos in front of the theater before each showing yesterday. We also greeted each patron with a respectful bow and open the doors for them (loved the surprised looks on many faces!) I liked the subtle philosophy cues through out the movie and in particular the ending "statement". The same general story, a little slow to evolve, but more meaningful in many respects. It was great to see the looks on my students faces when they got an "a ha!" moment!

As far as the title goes-I don't think "Kung Fu Kid" would have brought out the emotional response from the parents who saw the original when they were young and wanted to share it with their own kids....besides, in today's world the word "karate" is synonymous with "martial arts" to much of society-a good marketing move.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I'm planning on going to see it. It looks ok. I'm not really big into remakes, though. The original is always better. Plus I feel like this is just going to perpetuate the idea people have been gaining in recent years that karate is all about doing super high flying double back flip kicks. I much preferred the simple yet effective Okinawan style of the original karate kid movies. I think the fact that the movie will be so jump-flip-kicky will make a lot of kids dissapointed when they enroll in an actual dojo if they're expecting to learn what Jaden Smith will do.

My thoughts EXACTLY! It's "Karate" Kid, not KungFu Kid..

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I brought my children, Patrick and David, to see "The Karate Kid" after school yesterday, and they definitely enjoyed it. During the movie, a couple of fight scenes (done slow enough to catch the action) were identified by me as block & multi-strikes or a chain of strikes that the boys have practiced under Master Lago in their Courage Club class. When we got home, we went through the drill of what they were taught when dealing with bullies.

The original isn't to be competed with. I found certain things in the new movie that follow the old, like the problem with bullies and the tournament at the end, but so much of the new is different that it isn't a "remake" so much as it's "based on" the original. Give it a shot; have some popcorn and have fun.

Incidentally, there's a flood of t-shirts for the 1984 movie, but I was looking for the 2010 movie t-shirt that the theater help wore. I found it at:

http://www.tshirtsiwant.com/product_info.php?products_id=5716

and ordered for my sons and me.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Demos sound like a great idea! A customer of ours was allowed to pass out flyers at his local theater.

My opinion is that anything that stimulates interest in martial arts is good, and I hope this movie will do so. There will always be kids who come in and want to learn how to jump off roofs or be Power Rangers or Ninja Turtles. Many will be disappointed, but some will enjoy the real martial arts that they discover.

Regarding the movie, someone said they called Jaden's character a karate kid because he trained in some karate before moving, much like Daniel LaRusso did before moving to Reseda.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

I saw the movie three evenings ago. I say the least, I didn't expect much. The original Karate Kid movie is what started me in martial arts. It holds a very special place in my heart and I was not thrilled that someone was toying with it.

All my fears were unwarranted. The movie was fantastic! It was a true remake of the film. Jaden Smith did a pretty good job. Jackie Chan was great and really demonstrated he can act in a very dramatic role when necessary. They even addressed the whole Karate vs. Kung Fu thing. Now, of course, some things were updated and made flashier for a new audience. The "crane kick" certainly gets an update :wink: But if that's something that bothers you, than you're missing the point of the movie anyway.

I highly recommend this movie. It's as close to being as good as the original as possible.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Regarding the movie, someone said they called Jaden's character a karate kid because he trained in some karate before moving, much like Daniel LaRusso did before moving to Reseda.

In the 2010 movie, Jaden's character, Dre, will "put up his dukes," but it doesn't exactly look like a boxer's stance. The arms, and so the fists, are extended more. What he'd learned with friends back home in Detroit? In the 1984 movie, when Ralph Macchio as Daniel said he had to learn karate, his mother referred to his having trained at the "Y" (back in Newark, NJ).

Here's an online MTV News article that quotes Macchio's spin on things:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1641822/20100617/story.jhtml

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu