• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your own style

I probably could create my own style. I will not however. I may change the style Im in a little. That is just different things in different places. So it is still the style I study. When I have my own school I have the right to say what goes where for the ranks. I have also added some things. I in no way would consider this my own style. (since it is all still pretty much the same)

:smile:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

On 2002-07-28 17:42, Kensai wrote:

For me personally, I think creating a style by adding moves from other styles is really just moving things about. We only have to look at Frank Dux to see what copying a martial art can do for you in the wider community, and thats nothing.

Never change the teachings of the founders.

Stay in ONE style, train VERY hard, and you will need no other.

i agree

If I open my own dojang, I'd prolly have a mix of styles offered, like TKD, Hapkido, and some ground fighting art. But I wouldn't "create" a style. But I would make the TKD step sparring more "realistic", and teach a lot more self defense. I would have a certain amount of each for each rank. Easier ones for lower ranks and harder ones for higher ranks.

Laurie F

If you change things around or "create" a new style you had better have a good reason and you had better be ready to back up your claims. This would be pretty nuts considering that everyone thinks they have the best style and are ready to fight to prove it. It is a lot better to seek out a style that suits you and get very good at it.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

I really think it should be plural, styles.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Hi!

If you take a base style and start to change

things around and add things from other styles, you HAVE a NEW system and you are just borrowing the name of your Base style.

Its like being on the middle, I do my stuff but i don't face the responsabilities of it..

People do that and there are several reasons for it.

1."Respect" to the Founders , Sensei, Organizations, etc..

2.Don't feel prepared to have your own style.

3.Avoid problems with the martial arts community. Specially with the traditionals.

4."Too much responsability"..

5.Fear

And All that is Fine.

I depends on what you want. If you really and trully want to be a complete martial artist, you definitive need to do some reserch. I don't see anything wrong doing that. If just want recreation, one style may be fine.

Many people WANT to explore but are affraid of there Masters and Senseis. I don't worship any Masters I Respect them, two diferent things. I Respect everything they have done for martial arts, but that doesn't mean i have to stop there and think "that's it".

When i started in Martial Arts i did Shotokan Karate. I felt Good and it fit good on me but it wasn't until i started to train with a couple of friends from other styles that i stopped and thought that there's so much to learn around to just stay in one place. Remember also that styles are more about cultural and regional diferences than other things. As Bruce Lee says " there's no styles, we all have two hands and two legs" .

At the ends it depend on the individual. Creating a New style It's not a responsability that everybody is willing to carry. Its not only about fighting, but train the next generation of martial artists, lots of traveling in order to let people know your new style, create something that have a philosophy, a Reason , something beautifull that you can feel proud of it. And that requires a leader and not all people are leaders.

So if you want to give your style a name, Good, if you don't, Good too. but I personally fell that everyone that its seriously into martial arts MUST have the experience of explore the other styles and have fun doing it.

Thanks.

My style would be called dee do. We would eat cheeto's. LOL. J/k. :lol::spitlaugh:

My style would be a mix of shotokan, brazilian jujitsu ( which I tried and loved), and either judo, or kempo. :up:

That would be ideal for me. Although, my sensei takes brazillian ju-jitsu also and tries to incorperate that, so that's great for me!!

What'd ya think? :bigwink:

Grrrrr,

Dee (do) :karate:

P.S. My style would probobly be called any japanese word for " true victory is peace" or something deep and meaningful like that. Or " Cheeto's for better living".

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype