• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your own style

Would you ever consider creating your own style of martial arts, y'kno how bruce lee created jeet kune do. Do you think you could, and what would it be called..lol

When you put water into a cup,it becomes the cup.When you put water in a T-Pot,it becomes the T-Pot..be water my friend!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For me, prolly not. Course I never got a BB in anything (yet). I did two arts in my old dojang (TSD, Hapkido), and I do two now (TKD, Chin Na), but I still don't know squat LOL.

In the future ..... I can't for-tell the future, but I don't think I will. But I will study many arts, and work hard at all of them.

Laurie F

I'm actually training in a created style.

My intructor trained in karate, taekwondo, kickboxing, boxing, aikido, Hapkido, jiu-jitsu.

and He named his style "Freestyle Jiu-jitsu".

because its a name that covers all the aspects of fighting.

For me personally, I think creating a style by adding moves from other styles is really just moving things about. We only have to look at Frank Dux to see what copying a martial art can do for you in the wider community, and thats nothing.

Never change the teachings of the founders.

Stay in ONE style, train VERY hard, and you will need no other.

I think that all martial artists have there own style. Specially people who train in more than One art.

The diference is that some people name it and go on there own, and other stay with there original instructor and organization. :smile:

Kensai,

All the styles we train NOW came from modification of the older styles.

Taekwondo (karate/taekyon); Aikido and Judo(daitoryu aikijujitsu); Shorin ryu Karate (traditional chinese martial arts); Kyokushin karate (shotokan;goju ryu); etc...

So I think the styles created today, will be the traditional arts of the future :smile:

I will say we each do our own style. Reguardless if we are Shotokan, Kemp, BJJ, TKD, TSD, etc.... by trade once we understand the basic movements the style then takes on the appearance of the one using it.

Bruce Lee said that himself after comming up with JKD. More or less he said you got to teach yourself. I can not show you how to do something cause the way I do it dones not maen it will work for you.

So I will make the argument that everyone does his or her own MA. My Shotokan is not the same as that which Sai does. Or what Funakoshi did. Mine is not even the same as what my Sensei did nor are my students the same as mine. To each his own. We all will find our own paths thus our own arts.

Style is nothing but a starting point.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."