• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm attending my first BJJ class tonight.

I found a BJJ place not too far from my house. I emailed the instructor and asked if I could take a class.... he said yes! I'm leaving for the class shortly... can't wait!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I will have to find out if they have a website. I heard about the school from a buddy of mine.

My impression – great. I showed up and met the instructor, great guy. He told me I could just jump in and I did. After warm ups and stretching everyone lined up by height and then we were told to pair up. I got REALLY lucky and got paired up with an experienced guy about my age and weight. I learned a lot and hopefully I was able to be a decent partner. I knew some of the terminology so I was kind of able to follow what I was supposed to be doing.

It was a great experience and I plan to go back. At one point during the class my partner was explaining something and said I’m not sure if you interested in tournament JJ but….. my response was that I’ve been taking Karate for almost a year and I recently discovered I have no ground game. Without missing a beat my partner replied that most JJ guys have no game standing. I thought it was a great response to make to a new guy that was trying to be open and honest.

At the end of class we lined up from our partners, standing position, and practiced going in for a single leg take down. It was sooooo hard to drop my hands and go in for that take down!

Very cool, glad you had a good experience. You'll find that BJJ is an easy art to fall in love with. The relaxed training, the highly technical nature and constant work against resistance will keep you excited to train.

Keep us posted.

Thanks everybody! I will definitely be back at BJJ class next week. The way my schedule works i can only attend once a week... for now. I have the option to sign up for one month at a time which is nice.