• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many train to be warriors and don't believe in fighting?

Soldiers can fight without knowing why. A warrior won't fight unless s/he knows exactly why. That's the difference.
I think that is more of an individual philosophical take than a hard and fast rule. I think a soldier is viewed more as a member of a fighting unit, whereas the warrior may not necessarily be associated with a unit. I could be wrong, too.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soldiers can fight without knowing why. A warrior won't fight unless s/he knows exactly why. That's the difference.

I don't subscribe to that because both the warrior AND the soldier knows why they're fighting: Both fight, no matter what, for their self-preservation...it's either them or it's the enemy.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Ask any of our soldiers what they are doing over there now. Ask why they are there? That's the definition of soldier. If a soldier over there doesn't believe in the war, they still have to fight. Warriors will refuse to fight if they don't agree. Soldiers fight wars. They don't need to understand why, the bureaucrats tell them why.

Warriors don't commit unless they are sure of the reason, and it's a valid one, by their philosophy(s). Anything less decreases a warrior's resolve, and increases their chance of failure. Warriors don't fight to lose. They don't fight for just any reason either.

fighting? No matter what? for self preservation? Either them or the enemy? Welcome to the train of thought of a soldier. I'm not saying being a soldier is bad, but there is a difference. A soldier just fights. A warrior always makes sure to know why. Others tell soldiers when to fight. Warriors understand how important it is to decide when to fight on their own. Why is the most important reason when considering fighting.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think soldiers fight to lose, either. Self-preservation is kind of funny that way. A soldier is a member of a standing army/defense force. A soldier can be a warrior, and most likely is, if they voluntarily joined the defense force for their country's cause.

The dictionary I have defined warrior as being experienced in or engaged in war; soldier. By your definition, if someone chooses never to fight then, are they a warrior? I don't believe so. Ali made the choice not to serve in the army; I don't believe that made him a warrior. Quite the contrary, actually, but that is my opinion. So, I'm not so sure the "choice" is what really makes the difference.

I don't think soldiers fight to lose, either. Self-preservation is kind of funny that way. A soldier is a member of a standing army/defense force. A soldier can be a warrior, and most likely is, if they voluntarily joined the defense force for their country's cause.

The dictionary I have defined warrior as being experienced in or engaged in war; soldier. By your definition, if someone chooses never to fight then, are they a warrior? I don't believe so. Ali made the choice not to serve in the army; I don't believe that made him a warrior. Quite the contrary, actually, but that is my opinion. So, I'm not so sure the "choice" is what really makes the difference.

I'm goin to have to agree with this. Besides, its in the name. Warrior. To me its all the same. Warrior = Soldier. Soldier = Warrior.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I'm not a big fan of real life violence that has malicious intent behind it. However, I don't want said violence to happen to my loved ones or myself. So I train. That isn't the sole reason I train, but it is one of the bigger reasons.

There are only so many ways to fight someone.

• 3 months later...

I have trained in the martial arts for 20 years. I have worked as an engineer behind a desk for 10 years. Most would not look at me and say "warrior".

I believe that a warrior can be built from within and that one does not have to subscribe to the toils of war to live a warrior lifestyle. (Note that I have only the greatest respect and appreciation for our troops) In peace times in Japan the Samurai class had MUCH different responsibilities, but still conducted themselves in certain ways to uphold their morals.

I consider myself to be living a warrior lifestyle because:

• I keep myself and my family safe from harm not through fighting for them, but through tactics of situational awareness and other security measures.

I uphold the morals of my training, everyday, in my life. Effort. Etiquette. Character. Sincerity. Self-Control.

I question every answer and every solution, always finding the best solution for myself and my family.

I anxiously accept new physical, mental and life challenges.

I teach.

I desire to be the best I can be in every facet of my life, and always improve.

I live each day as though it was my last.

Shihan Dana Abbott explained to me that the "Spirit of the Samurai" is akin to the "American Spirit" or the "Entrepreneurial Spirit" in the west. The urge to create new business, or create something from nothing, or fulfill a need where no one else has succeeded, is the act of a warrior.

Preserving Martial Arts legends of the past and present - The Martial Arts Lineage Project

In many ways, the "warrior ideal" has become just that, a set of ideals, and not all the ideals really have anything to do with being a warrior, from my point of view. Take these points from chien fu, for example:

I uphold the morals of my training, everyday, in my life. Effort. Etiquette. Character. Sincerity. Self-Control.

These are all very admirable qualities, and most of us like to see these things in the people we associate with and have in our lives on a daily basis; we like to know we surround ourselves with good people, and are good people ourselves. However, I'm not conviced that these qualities have anything to do with being a "warrior." Its as if the concept of being a warrior has been romanticized like the Samurai has been for the past 100+ years.

I think the concept of the warrior is much simpler than being a good person. You have to be good at war. You have to be able to fight, know the tactics of personal combat with natural weapons as well as manufactured weapons. And a warrior has to be able to execute the necessary actions. You don't have to be a good, nice, well-balanced member of society to be a warrior. There are probably a lot of "bad guys" out there that would be considered "good warriors."

Many who train in the Martial Arts claim to uphold a "warrior creed" of some kind, and it holds a pretty romantic idea in their minds. Audy Murphy was a warrior. I wonder how romantic of an idea he thought it was?

How is there no mention here of Destrucity, The truce between one's destiny and one's reality?
I'm not familiar with this; first time I've heard of it. But, I'm not a big fan or believer in things like destiny, karma, or other things like that.

Could you expound on the concept a bit more?