Should children be given black belts?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that if a child knows the stuff for black belt and can do it correctly then he/she should be awarded the black belt.

Should an instructor go against the rules/regualtions/by-laws of the Headquarters?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

so at my dojo we have a 14yr old 2nd dan who knows every kata right up to advanced kata. we have a 8yr old who is green belt and i dare say the rate shes going she'll be a 1st dan by 10yrs old and my brother who's 12 would have been a 1st dan next yr but he gave up karate. we go by skill aquirement and knowlegde retainment. no pecking order, if you have the skills to get to BB by 10 and you have the correct techniques then you diserve it.

~Rhi

I think that if a child knows the stuff for black belt and can do it correctly then he/she should be awarded the black belt.

And here is the problem. These kids memorize which way to turn on their Katas, or what combinations to perform for their Kihon, and help each other out during kumite. So all they have demonstrated is that they learned how to pass a test. So does that mean they really know their arts?

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

I think yes, they should. It is basically about memorizing techniques and kata. And it doesn't matter if they help each other in kumite. I dont think anyone during kumite geas full force against his friend during test. And imagine how good they will be when they are adult

A style is just a name.

And here is the problem. These kids memorize which way to turn on their Katas, or what combinations to perform for their Kihon, and help each other out during kumite. So all they have demonstrated is that they learned how to pass a test. So does that mean they really know their arts?

How are adults any different? I memorize forms, and learn how to take the tests, too. I don't think you give the kids enough credit.

Should an instructor go against the rules/regualtions/by-laws of the Headquarters?

If you've got rules in place to govern this, then probably not a good idea to go against them. But, I do think it could be a good idea for said organization to speak of this periodically, and revisit the ways of doing things, and why they are that way.

I say give the kids a jr black belt. Perhaps with a stripe in the middle of the belt to signify that its a jr rank. When they are older (16-18) allow them to test for the full rank.

I like this idea, im sure some schools probably do it too :D

I hear this arguement a lot, so lets toy with it a while. How will the test be different? Is the curriculum different for the under-aged jr black belt? If not, then I take issue with it.

"Sorry, kid, but you're just not old enough to be a 'real' black belt. So what we'll do is wait until you turn 16, and you can do that jr black belt test all over again, and then, you will be a 'real' black belt. How does that sound?"

I think that sounds like an instructor working a student over for more testing fees. And even if one doesn't charge testing fees, what has really been accomplished here. Its like the driving restrictions they put on kids when they start getting their license. Most of the time, the restrictions are just foolish.

So, should an member of law enforcement ignore/violate the rules/regulations/law that make up the driving restrictions for kids? If the law says that a kid is to have an adult licensed driver with them while their driving, for example, and an officer of the law see's that a kid is driving without an adult in the car, possibly that officer should disregard the rules/regulations/law because that officer thinks that the rules/regulations/law is foolish? Aahhhh...no, I don't think so.

No matter how foolish one might think a rule/regulation may or may not be of any said martial arts organization; it's their law, and I believe that that should be respected.

I did not say it is ok to disregard rules/regulations/laws. What I said was that sometimes, laws/rules are made that don't really accomplish anything, other than creating other rules and regs to be followed.

As for law enforcement, there is this little thing called officer discretion at our disposal...;)

In my school, we use a junior black belt (class rather than kyu) system because children can not hit or kick as hard as an adult, but they can often understand and preform all the requirements just as well and often better and with more speed and grace than an adult. When the junior black belt reaches an age (no certain one) where I or another instructor feels that they can compete adequately with an adult and not be injured, the junior black belt may be promoted through testing to a regular adult level black belt (1st dan).

Sensei Kellam

Karate is a way of life!

http://cranemartialarts.ecrater.com/

How are adults any different? I memorize forms, and learn how to take the tests, too. I don't think you give the kids enough credit.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I agree with everything Brian's been saying, actually.

Bob, while you are practically correct, about having to live with whatever policies are in place (which is true), that doesn't stop people from discussing it. You never know - in some cases, change can be possible. :) You never know.

Thanks,

Patrick