• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should children be given black belts?

I am not jealous of this kid but there is a kid in my dojo that is eleven and is 7th kyu I know it isnt shodan but here is my point HE CANT PERFORM HIS KATA OR MANY OF THE BLOCKS WE DO CORRECTLY i just think there should be a higher stander because I am sure we would ALL be better at what we do, so before your next test ask yourself if you could perform your test the way YOU would want it done not the way that is just enough to pass the test :karate:

I hear you. Maybe one day, not before to long, the yellow belt, or something close to it, will be the new black belt.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not jealous of this kid but there is a kid in my dojo that is eleven and is 7th kyu I know it isnt shodan but here is my point HE CANT PERFORM HIS KATA OR MANY OF THE BLOCKS WE DO CORRECTLY i just think there should be a higher stander because I am sure we would ALL be better at what we do, so before your next test ask yourself if you could perform your test the way YOU would want it done not the way that is just enough to pass the test :karate:

I hear you. Maybe one day, not before to long, the yellow belt, or something close to it, will be the new black belt.

Well i just dont like to complain a lot about stuff but its nice to see that people on this forum are understanding about traditional MA

The path leading to anger and conflict is wide and easy to travel the path leading to self control and discipline is narrow and difficult

Well i just dont like to complain a lot about stuff but its nice to see that people on this forum are understanding about traditional MA

What's there to understand?

*whispers* pssst-- I think he's being sarcastic.

*whispers* pssst-- I think he's being sarcastic.

*whispers back* pssst-- ok, I think you're right. It's all good!

:D

I am confused :-?

It's all good Akikazeninja...it's all good. There's nothing to be confused with!

:D

I say give the kids a jr black belt. Perhaps with a stripe in the middle of the belt to signify that its a jr rank. When they are older (16-18) allow them to test for the full rank.

I like this idea, im sure some schools probably do it too :D

I hear this arguement a lot, so lets toy with it a while. How will the test be different? Is the curriculum different for the under-aged jr black belt? If not, then I take issue with it.

"Sorry, kid, but you're just not old enough to be a 'real' black belt. So what we'll do is wait until you turn 16, and you can do that jr black belt test all over again, and then, you will be a 'real' black belt. How does that sound?"

I think that sounds like an instructor working a student over for more testing fees. And even if one doesn't charge testing fees, what has really been accomplished here. Its like the driving restrictions they put on kids when they start getting their license. Most of the time, the restrictions are just foolish.

I say give the kids a jr black belt. Perhaps with a stripe in the middle of the belt to signify that its a jr rank. When they are older (16-18) allow them to test for the full rank.

I hear this arguement a lot, so lets toy with it a while. How will the test be different? Is the curriculum different for the under-aged jr black belt? If not, then I take issue with it.

"Sorry, kid, but you're just not old enough to be a 'real' black belt. So what we'll do is wait until you turn 16, and you can do that jr black belt test all over again, and then, you will be a 'real' black belt. How does that sound?"

I think that sounds like an instructor working a student over for more testing fees. And even if one doesn't charge testing fees, what has really been accomplished here. Its like the driving restrictions they put on kids when they start getting their license. Most of the time, the restrictions are just foolish.

I am not arguing i just think that most kids that train for their black belt dont even know the material as good as they should but i think that if a student can perform their stuff correctly then i totally agree with! why would someone hold a kid back from being a black belt just because they are a kid, yes they may not be very powerful with their moves but the bottom line is they know it.

The path leading to anger and conflict is wide and easy to travel the path leading to self control and discipline is narrow and difficult

So, should an member of law enforcement ignore/violate the rules/regulations/law that make up the driving restrictions for kids? If the law says that a kid is to have an adult licensed driver with them while their driving, for example, and an officer of the law see's that a kid is driving without an adult in the car, possibly that officer should disregard the rules/regulations/law because that officer thinks that the rules/regulations/law is foolish? Aahhhh...no, I don't think so.

No matter how foolish one might think a rule/regulation may or may not be of any said martial arts organization; it's their law, and I believe that that should be respected.