• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should children be given black belts?

I don't really think so. I train all the time and work really hard, and I hate to admit it bothers me but there are some kids a few years younger at my school who have black belts in a different art and dojo that in my opinion is... easy? Kind of a Mcdojo. Anyway it bothers me because I've seen them showing off all the time and they really aren't very good :/ Then they always come up to me and say "HA you don't even have a black belt!" When I train harder and larger, I just go to a school where a black belt is a HUGE achievement and takes many (6-8) years to achieve!

That felt good I feel better now :) haha

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked how my old organization did it. For the younger kids you would have your own syllabus and could achieve a black belt that way. However, once you reach the age where you could train with adults, that black belt became a green belt. I guess that would be a good way of doing it.

Having never taught nor trained kids, nor with any desire to do either, I can't really give an experienced opinion though.

My school just redid our child syllabus to have the child move through the belts faster and we developed a junior black belt that's pretty much the equivelant of an adult brown belt. It has three levels just like the adult brown belt and since all the kids start out around the same age, everything's timed out so that if a child keeps on schedule they'll have finished the third level of junior black belt right around the time they're old enough to test for their adult black belt.

No!

our association wont even promote teens, let alone child, to BB. You have to be a certain age.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

I think the children should be able to obtain a black belt... if they pass a series of tests. Its understandable that martial arts is not all strength, but there is no point in giving a black belt to one who is too weak to actually use the skills they learned.

I am not a fighter, I am a guardian.

I think the children should be able to obtain a black belt... if they pass a series of tests. Its understandable that martial arts is not all strength, but there is no point in giving a black belt to one who is too weak to actually use the skills they learned.

I completely agree with you. :nod:

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

The association to which I belong does not allow black belt testing until the age of 15 which used to be pretty standard across Okinawa, but in recent years you are starting to see kids with a black belt although still very rare. I have not seen anyone under 15 with a black belt at a tournament here in the last 3 yrs or so. The "junior" black belt rank (black belt with a horizantal white stripe all the way around) in more comman for those under 15. They cannot exceed this rank and must re-test for shodan once they reach that age. Cheers.

I'm pretty sure I could make a compelling case for why adults shouldn't be given black belts. :)

Thanks Brian. :)

I think that, generally speaking, adults fall victim to the same trappings that a child or a minor might. I mean, what are the reasons you would withhold a black belt from someone, just because of their age? I've heard things like...

1. They aren't emotionally ready.

2. They aren't physically ready (strong enough). They can't fight.

3. It'll give them a big ego (might be the same as emotionally ready, but let me give it it's own place! :)).

The problem with these reasons is that all of these things are true for adults, as well.

So, if that is the case, age becomes an arbitrary limitation that almost plays a stereotype. Yeah, most minors shouldn't reach black belt. But, most adults shouldn't, either, right? :)

You should only reach it if you pass the necessary tests and gradings and have the appropriate knowledge.

As an aside, the reason people hold back minors isn't always pure, either. For some people, it's a matter of insecurity. If a 13-17 year old can attain their rank, it somehow cheapens their rank or makes them feel like they are in some way inadequate. For some others, it could be a way to make more money, forcing them to test twice and earn the same belt twice.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks,

Patrick