• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

need advive to practice kata by myself

username13839

yes, thanks guys

I definetely dont show off. :P

practicing outside in summer might be a fun thing to do. In a way ,if i concentrate enough on my doings, i should be able to ignore any individuals watching around, i believe that is the right behavior.

I know the few kata i learned pretty well, i was just wondering how i can improve my position and technics if there is no mirror around :)

How do you guys train kata yourself? I read that on the beach it is good because after the kata is performed you can see the marks on the sand and assess if your movements were right or not...?

Seb

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try doing Kata with hands only. Standing in one spot. Or just the feet. I see people practice Martial Arts in local Parks here does not bother them.

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -

ps1's idea is good. I don't have much room at uni so I cut them up into chunks and logical combinations and practice them individually. Only problem there is you're not learning the transitions between all of the segments you've made but that can be worked on when you have the space.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

hello,

I tried ps1 method today and it worked quite well, i have able to perform the heans in that limited space. but right now, i cannot really perform the kata full speed that way. I am going to prospect for some open areas and try there :)

About transitions, you are right. but i am going to work this out with my sensei.

cheers

seb

hello,

I tried ps1 method today and it worked quite well, i have able to perform the heans in that limited space. but right now, i cannot really perform the kata full speed that way. I am going to prospect for some open areas and try there :)

About transitions, you are right. but i am going to work this out with my sensei.

cheers

seb

Glad it worked for you. Certainly, some of the transitions change a little when doing it.

Good luck.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

My house is also too small, so what I did was break down my kata into bits. Like do the first few moves of heian nidan then do backfist and yoko geri keage separately, standing in one spot I perform all the moves. Its not doing kata properly, but still get to do each movement even if i cant move in a small spot.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

• 3 weeks later...

Eh, I work out at the park. Sometimes people come along. Occasionally they watch. Usually they are busy doing their own thing. I'm sure not showing off, and after I do the same kata 6 times in a row with no signs of changing anything, anyone watching gets bored and goes back to whatever else they were doing.

I am not there to impress anyone, I'm not there to entertain anyone, not there to draw attention to myself or put myself out there. There is no room in my home and so I use what I can. I get self-conscious, as I am very very new and still working on getting the most basic things right. But I have to set my ego aside because I have to train. A lot of people go to the local park to practice something, like soccer, or basketball, or whatever else. I'm just another people using the big flat space.

Plus, it gives me experience moving on less than perfect surfaces. :}

My advice is to not bother with what other people are thinking. Be aware of their existence, but focus on your discipline. You are there to train, not impress or entertain or be something for people to watch. People will quickly lose interest when they discover that it is a routine often repeated anyway.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.