• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

need advive to practice kata by myself

username13839

Hello,

I am practicing Karate Shotokan for 2 years and would like some advises on how i can train kata myself at my place..? Basically my flat is too small to practice anything, i just end up in a wall or chair at any move.

Going out in a park or open area could be a solution but since i am quite a beginner i feel a bit shy practicing in front of public..

What solutions do i have to practice kata?

Practicing kata is one thing, performing it right is another, how can i autocorrect myself? no mirror available...

thanks,

Seb

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure, there is no any indoor place near your place, where you could practice? Like free place which would be meant for danceing or something like that? Or if you could think of a place outside, where would be very little people?

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

Hello,

thanks for your message. As a matter of fact, i live in Helsinki too :)

Maybe you know some places there?

Nearby my area, i did not find any.

(i reply to you in english because i am French :) )

I saw töölö sporthall, maybe one possible place for me to go.

cheers

Sebastien

Edited by username13839

Okey. :D

I have never been in töölö sporthall but I've heard that there's no closed place to practice on tatami, BUT I am not sure of that, so maybe that'd be a good place too.

Edited by Soheir

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

If you've been training for 2 years, you should know your kata patterns pretty well. So just remove the pattern and do the form in one spot.

Think of kata as leggo pieces. Each move can go in any spot or be put into any configuration. A specific kata is just one artist's idea of how it should look.

Take a 1 meter by 1 meter area. That should be large enough to do any stance. It's also large enough to do any kata.

Think Taikyoku Shodan. Start by doing your gedan barai (down block). Now since you can't step forward into your Oi Tsuki, slide your front foot back to the rear and step forward with the right foot and punch. Now you bring your left foot up to meet your right foot, turn and block again. You've now done the first three movements of the kata without even moving. But everything else was correct. With practice, you can figure out how to do kata like this.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Hello thanks for your replies,

Actually i did train once Taikyoku Shodan on spot, the idea was to choose a piece of tatami and perform the kata in that rectangle. Same for Taikyoku Shodan Ura and Go. I forgot about this :) maybe i can try to perform all the heians that way and see if it works ;)

thanks

Seb

If you've been training for 2 years, you should know your kata patterns pretty well. So just remove the pattern and do the form in one spot.

Think of kata as leggo pieces. Each move can go in any spot or be put into any configuration. A specific kata is just one artist's idea of how it should look.

Take a 1 meter by 1 meter area. That should be large enough to do any stance. It's also large enough to do any kata.

Think Taikyoku Shodan. Start by doing your gedan barai (down block). Now since you can't step forward into your Oi Tsuki, slide your front foot back to the rear and step forward with the right foot and punch. Now you bring your left foot up to meet your right foot, turn and block again. You've now done the first three movements of the kata without even moving. But everything else was correct. With practice, you can figure out how to do kata like this.

Now, that's a very solid post!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I also have to agree with ps 1 however I would add that you should try to practice outside. With 2 years of experience you probably know your kata well so overcoming your fear of practicing in public will help you as well as you kata.

I also have to agree with ps 1 however I would add that you should try to practice outside. With 2 years of experience you probably know your kata well so overcoming your fear of practicing in public will help you as well as you kata.

Although, one might consider practicing outside as showing-off, drawing attention to one-self, and might not feel that that would be appropriate.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Although, one might consider practicing outside as showing-off, drawing attention to one-self, and might not feel that that would be appropriate.

True. Maybe I misinterpreted the initial post. I got the feeling that this person was nervous to workout in front of people much like most people are afraid of public speaking. I was trying to push them to face their fear and I didn't think about the drawing attention part.

On a side note, I think you benefit from practicing kata as a kata as opposed to reviewing individual moves. Maybe I'm assuming too much but I'd think after 2 years it would harder to perform the kata as a whole as opposed to individual movement.

As long as you keep working,,, that all that matters :D