• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First tournament soon! Help!

Biskit

Hi everyone,

So a long time ago you may remember that I posted here, about to start Shaolin Kempo and very nervous about it :) Well now I love my dojo, am a yellow belt, and also study Jiu Jitsu :D

So a local tournament is going to be held where I live for all ranks (they grouping by rank age and weight) and I am going to enter :) I will be doing girls age 14-15 point sparring! My dad is a brown belt in Kempo Karate and is going to help me prepare too. Now this is my first ever martial arts tournament, and I really have no idea what to expect or how to prepare! So I have a few questions:

How should I prepare? Just spar with my dad every night? Should I go over my actual class material? How often should I be practicing?

Can anyone share some good techniques they use to get points?

Does anyone have general tournament tips?

What should I do/eat the night/day of the tournament? (I am a vegetarian)

How can I make myself less nervous at the tournament?(I know I will be!)

Thanks for all your help! :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How should I prepare?

Practice until the wheels fall off!

Just spar with my dad every night?

Yes, and not just your dad. Him being a brown belt will help you. Spar your classmates, with permission from your instructor first. SPAR, SPAR, SPAR endlessly. Spar with a purpose. By that I mean. Work on timing, blocking, distancing, strategy...etc. Study your opponent, study yourself, make a plan, and then carry out that plan. Work on not running away from your opponent. At first, running away from your opponent can't be avoided, that's where sparing over and over comes in. You'll start getting use to seeing various attacks coming at you from all directions. Beat your opponent to the punch!

Should I go over my actual class material?

YES!!!!!!!

How often should I be practicing?

Preparing for a tournament, you might want to practice more often than you normally do. Practice makes perfect so the saying goes. So...practice, practice, practice......

Can anyone share some good techniques they use to get points?

Keeping it simple. A quick side-kick to the stomach as the opponent steps towards you. A little side step to your strong side, then block, and then punch/kick....Don't forget the loud kiai. Sometimes in tournaments, you've got to sell the techniques to the judges. Sparring is nothing more than a game of cat and mouse.

Does anyone have general tournament tips?

Be alert, listen for your name, be at the designated ring and not at the wrong ring. Walk smartly when your name is called. Speak in a loud and clear voice. Don't forget your name or the name of the form or the name of your style or the name of your instructor. Bow in and out of the ring. Remember, you're a sells person and you've got to sell it to the judges. DON'T act cocky, but be confident. Wear a clean and pressed uniform. Don't forget your weapons if your doing any weapon forms. Don't forget ALL of your safety gear, especially your mouthpiece and have your groin protection. If you forget your form and/or you drop your weapon, and it happens, stop and ask for permission from the judges to start again. Will you be nervious...OH YEAH...just RELAX and BREATH!

What should I do/eat the night/day of the tournament? (I am a vegetarian)

Get a good night sleep! Eat a light and smart breakfast. Possibly a banana or some fruit. I usually eat a banana with some toast and some OJ. During the day, well, I don't know if your butterflies will let you. For lunch, MAYBE, an orange/apple and water, for example.

Whatever calms you down...do that. Whether it's a good book or some music, whatever it is, do that which calms you down the most. Don't be stage fright, it happens, but just BREATH. Take as many cleansing breaths as you need. Shake yourself to remain loose. Also, practice your forms, sparring, or whatever else. There's always some place to practice. You'll not be the only one practicing at the tournament.

Biggest thing.........RELAX and HAVE FUN and LEARN from this experience!

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Hopefully, I've given you some help. Ask all the questions you want! Talk to your instructor, as well as your dad. Your dad's been there!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I like sensei8's advice. To add my two cents, just know that you will be very nervous you're first time out. Just go out there a do your best. Next time, you'll have a tournament under your belt and you'll feel less nervous.

I think alot of what people underestimate in these tournaments is fitness. After you have had 4 or so matches your gonna be on your last legs so it were. You need to have the fitness to last the distance.

The fitter you are the better your mind will function because you won't be breathing so hard. Also your going to want to practice your sparring.

Work your combinations and feints/fakes. Also work on your kicks. Now I don't know how this tournament works but generally its kicks to the head that score more. So lots of high kicking. Feints low and high kicks work welll together.

Good Luck :)

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

When is the tournament? How long have you got to prepare for it?

I'm not going to tell you what to do in sparring as that's really your teacher's job and I don't really know how Kempo Karate spars anyway but here's some general advice :)

I usually eat something slow release morning of the tournament so porridge or cereal. You need your energy. Drink enough too. Throughout the day make sure you're hydrated and don't eat loads at once but make sure you do eat otherwise you'll have no energy. If you can find out what time you're on eat some sandwiches or something like that about an hour-ish before. Otherwise just keep eating little bits throughout the day. Heh I tend to load up on chocolate biscuits :D

Pack all your stuff the night before. So get your sparring gear ready, know where your gi is (have it ironed and hung up), know where your belt is. If you're taking drinks and food (which you probably should) I'd prepare it all so you're not messing about in the morning.

When you get to the tournament find out what ring and roughly what time you're going to be on. If you've got time before you're due to go on, just sit back and watch. Since its your first tourny, just have a look at how the other competitors go on to the ring, what the standard protocol seems to be, what's scoring the points etc. Try not to get fazed by it all and just enjoy it. Tournaments are a great opportunity to check out the higher belts in action too.

Respecting the umpires and referees can go a long way to help you out. A number of times I've had decisions and penalties awarded in my favour when its close just because the ref liked me more. A quick bow before you go onto the ring is good. If you get a penalty or warning in sparring just a slight bow/nod that you acknowledge it and accept it can also help. At the end of the bout shake the other person's hand and if they have a coach at the ring side, shake their hand too. Before leaving the mat a quick bow to the centre ref and jury table (if you have one) is also good. Above all, don't waste their time. The last thing umpires want is someone who takes too long to put on their gear or spends ages looking for where they left their mouthguard. They'll be standing around all day and someone who makes their day even longer is not going to impress.

Good Luck :D

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

your first compitition really shouldnt be about getting tips on winning and stuff, its about expierience... ive never been to a compitition and not won anything, i go to a compition thinking its just nothing then when i get there i eat and drink the bear minimum becuase from experience ive needed the toilet in the middle of a final!! i then just go up and i just then get up and do my stuff...the way to get medals and stuff is to train not just hard in the days up to it but in every class. good luck:D

practice doesnt make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect