• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How are your gradings conducted?

RJCKarate

We travel to different dojos in our organization to be graded by various blackbelts. We have to explain and demonstrate certain techiques and also have a japanese word list we must learn. Then we have to perform all of our katas in front of the Grandmaster and other blackbelts. Our instructors are not allowed to test us in order to avoid any bias.

Once the testing is completed the blackbelt retire to a separate room to discuss everyones grades and then the results are announced to eveyone in attendance.

Blackbelts are recommended after so many years of competing, working tournaments and belt tests. They are judged by their sensie on how much they give back to the organization.

If it is determined they are ready to advance in rank there is a ceremony before the belt test in front of everyone.

Hoping to get my Ni Dan this summer.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Students under 8 have their own rank system (they graduate to yellow belt when they move up into the regular program) and do their testings in class.

For the regular program, the first two ranks are done in class. All other ranks are done in front of a panel. Testings are held every three months. All black belts and red/black belts are required to be at every testing to judge and assist.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

You show up for every class for a few years, practice on your own, and one day the teacher tells you, 'You're a XX belt.'

That's it. Kinda informal.

Where I primarily train these days, we're similar. We'll spontaneously go over the stuff each deshi is supposed to be working on in class. After which, Sensei says you're doing good, bad, something needs work.....or congratulations you've just been promoted.

At my alternate school, they do formal "tests" with panel members walking around to each testing station (sparring, heavy bag, focus mitts, kata, etc) scoring each student. Of course, everyone "invited" to test at this school tests at the same time, adults and children. So their adult, non-black-belt students (roughly 7% of the total attendance) get the extreme pleasure of demonstrating in front of little kids' mommies, poppies, grannies, kid brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, screaming babies, photo and video cameras. In the time since this has been put into practice, I've declined to test.

At any rate, I'm a firm believer in the concept of "If someone's made progress and met the competency requirements for promotion, it's obvious. Don't need no stinkin' test to figure it out."

Ours are also conducted in front of a panel of three or four nidans (or higher). The sensei calls out what he wants you to do... kata, kion, etc, and we do it. For the lower belts he may give a little instruction to help them understand what he's asking them to do. We usually find out if we passed in one week. And I actually like the waiting game. It adds a little more excitement to things.

Ours are conducted in front of a panel, either at the individual dojo's or at the Hombu. Any rank can test at the Hombu if they so desire at the Hombu's testing cycle every June/July. However, those tests for Godan thru Hachidan are only conducted at the Hombu each and every June/July, if there are any approved testing candidates of those levels.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

All of my testing was done with my instructors just walking around. My first black belt was a surprise...no testing. I walked in and a tea ceremony was performed.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Mine is done in front of Sensei

We do the Basics, Combinations, Kicks as a Group.

We do Pair Works

We then do Kata solo

Then we do fighting.

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -

Our trainers sit on chairs and use a table to look more formal and to increase seriousness. Sensei has papers about each student. We perform in groups of 3 or 4 and they take notes. At the end, they call our names one by one , comment on our performance and Sensei says ' Congratulations, you passed'.

All our Grades are in front of a panel ,panel usually 2 to 4 people max lowest grade on the panel is Sandan ,warm up and demonstrations shouting etc are done by Shodan never below..

The only exception is for 9th Kyu this is done in a class environment being the first grade.