• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How are your gradings conducted?

RJCKarate

Are your gradings conducted similar to a normal lesson where the instructor walks around, or do they sit at a desk/panel and assess you in a much more formal manner?

This topic isn't about what you perform, or the requirements, just how the grading is conducted. Additionally, I know most blackbelt gradings are conducted using the panel method, but this is just for general, all-grade testings.

Cheers!

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I studied Soo Bahk Do, a table was set up in the dojang for the examining judge. My teacher and her assistant instructor took care of what we had to be instructed to do, so the judge mostly did paperwork, except for questions about Soo Bahk Do that were asked of gup members. (Dan tests are held at the regional headquarters.)

At a certain point, when I went for 5th and 4th gup, my teacher had a table set up to do the evaluating herself. I saw that she had the same examination sheet that the examining judge had had. She didn't leave the table, but called out what we should do, and the assistant instructor helped her. The examining judge has three states to cover, and she has her own school. I feel that since she'd known my SBD teacher for years, and had conducted testing in the dojang before, there was trust that the test would be up to standards.

My children are special needs, and their promotions have been based on their teacher since the beginning. They were white belts with electrical tape stripes for the first year. The concentration has been on improvement, and once they reach 4th gup, I've been told that they're likely to stay there (green belt) for a full year.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

We have belt testing when needed which usually equates to 2 to 4 times a year. Testing is done after a regular class and family / friends are invited. Our instructor along with 4 to 6 BBs sit at a table and judge our one-step defenses and kata. It is not unusually for someone to have to perform a kata multiple times before a satisfactory nod is given. Then the instructor and the BBs form a ring and we spar. Every belt except for the white to yellow transition requires the person testing to spar more than one opponent at the same time.

Our grading is done at the end of each semester. It is a 2 hour class for the kids. They run through all the techniques after a brutal work out and then by belt rank the perform their Kata or all they know depending on what is asked. Kata is done with all black belts sitting watching as a panel.

Adult grading is a little bit more involved. It is done over 2 classes with a big work out the first night. 2nd night is more on technique and sparring different belt levels. Kata by belt rank in front of the panel.

Everyone can participate in the grading nights. So even if you not up for grading you can still come and do it. It is a great deal of fun. I like grading nights as they are the best work all term and good opportunity to show your stuff.

You show up for every class for a few years, practice on your own, and one day the teacher tells you, 'You're a XX belt.'

That's it. Kinda informal.

Leaves fall.

Panel for us. Grading day will get scheduled a couple of weeks in advance and then you turn up for your grading at the allotted time for your belt. Panel usually consists head instructor, couple other instructors/senior blackbelts and sometimes a junior to assist with conducting warmup, register, holding stuff etc. Panel also have to wear shirt and tie rather than doboks.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

One of the forms of kempo I do does the board/panel thing. At least until the upper bb levels, then it becomes more of an informal process. The other, did promotion more informally, with a test but with more of a class room vibe.

Personally, when I teach these systems it's pretty much a "your a whatever rank now". And we move on.

For BJJ, the academy I go to ranks belts after seminars when my coaches coach is in town. Stripes can come anytime.