• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

6' sparring

Pajarito21

To add to Sokusen post. I think there is impotant lesson in distance here.

I disagree. This type of sparring doesn't teach you to move in and out...just stay out. There's nothing of value in that. It doesn't teach good footwork, distance, properly reading the opponent, or timing.

That depends on who is the agressor. If I move in that forces you to move out and vice vesa. I would consider this like shadow boxing only I can have the invisible partner right in front of me.

To be honest I can see pro's and con's to this type of sparring.

My problem with this type of thing is that if you have a partner, you should be doing training that allows you to use your partner. The average martial artist only gets to train with a partner two or three times per week. Then most of that time is, instead, used training things like kata and kihon that don't require a partner and can be done at home. It wastes the practitioner's time and, IMO, money. Shadow boxing and the like are meant to be done when there is no partner.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I still believe that input from a higher belt at the dojo, particularly a dan member, would shed light on the subject. Surely by black belt practitioners know--or should know--why they're doing something.

You have to ask your teacher or a higher belt. If it's uncomfortable to ask your teacher, that you feel it might give a false impression of disrespect, ask a dan member.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Thanks everybody for the comments there great. I did ask my sensei and he told me it was for safety. But, he is the only one who does it at our dojo. We have 3 other instructors and they don't do it. The main objective here was to get other personal input and you guys did great! thank you very much!