• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Go Kan Ryu

quinteros1963

There are so many styles of Karate. I met someone today who studies GKR, a combination of Goju Ryu and Shotokan. Who knew? Have you ever heard of it?

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of info here - http://www.karateforums.com/grk-international-vt21606.html

I looked at my local GKR class out of interest and while I didn't find anything necessarily alarming about the karate there are a number of business practices that I do find a little unorthodox to say the least.

I've heard the same. Your mileage will vary, though, so check out the school before thowing in the towel and checkmarking it as the same as every other GKR school.

I've sparred against some GKR opponents. Really got defeated soundly by one of them. In fact, one of the major tournaments here in Northern California is a GKR dojo. Last year the president of GKR came. My impression is that the style is okay. I'm still partial to Shotokan, though... only because that's what I study.

I was just surprised to hear about it, since I have experience in both Shotokan and Goju. I wonder what I would be ranked in that style? I'm not questioning GKR's authenticity. In my book training is training, what ever floats your boat is fine with me.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

From what I have read about Gokan Ryu translated from Japanese to English directly it means "Rape" school

http://www.martialedge.net/forum/japanese-martial-arts/gkr-go-kan-ryu/

Check this thread out, it have views from both sides and from Karateka from all over the world too

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Umm... no. It doesn't translate to "Rape School." Anyone with access to Google can figure that out. Wikipedia's translation is "hard and complete system in the way of the empty hand."

There are controversies, however. I read this on wikipedia:

"Recruitment - A significant proportion of GKR's member base is from its door-to-door recruitment system. This system of student recruitment was taught to Robert Sullivan by Matsugi Tanaka, who was at that time the Senior Instructor of Go Kan Ryu at the Adelaide Headquarters, this was during 1984/85. Matsugi Tanaka had joined Go Kan Ryu already a Sandan in Shotokan and significantly contributed to the manner in which Robert Sullivan viewed the potential of Karate as a business. The method of door-to-door recruitment is unpopular with sections of the martial arts community and many styles have criticised GKR for its "commercial" or Amway approach to martial arts and for not caring about their members. GKR shrugs off such accusations, alleging that there is a strong "family" feel amongst its students and senseis."

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GKR_Karate)

A lot of people say that GKR is a pyramid scheme. Maybe that's so. It still doesn't turn me off completely to the system, though.

I must add gavn8r-san.

There are gross misjudgments in naming the style since "gokan" in Japanese does means "rape" (the kanji is different but people don't speak in kanji, they speak in sounds). There are also kanji mistakes on the GKR website.

I was told by a former GKR black belt that the name Go Kan Ryu was a joke created by the Australian founder because it is an anagram of Kan Go Ryu .

I actually think GKR is there because its done something that most Schools can't turned it into an AMWAY product. Regards GKR, yes the Kata is valid Kata, but would you let a 1st year Med student, perform a serious operation on you - the answer would be NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

This is where GKR fails, it tends to get through the net having KYU grades teaching in classes where it should be DAN grades. If you have had your door knocker come, you got to pay in advance. And from there you have a Direct Debit from your bank account which has a cancellation fee of say 3 months - This is what keeps the students (...if I change schools I got to pay 3 months worth of fees to get out, I might as well stay here...)

The thing is how effective IS GKR against other styles, I have NEVER heard of a GKR practitioner winning an Open (that is not just GKR - other styles as well) Championship. I believe the sparing is not even semi contact - I practice Full contact knockdown Karate. “Tippy Tappy Bouncy Bouncy” will NOT work on the street. Man, if someone who is not used to hitting someone full force does they'll break their hand (it is medically proven that the average person upon hitting the face of an attacker will break their hand within 3 strikes), unless they train correctly for it.

And to be called Sensei and not be a Yudansha is insulting to those who have worked hard to get where they are. I may take a Yoga class for 3 months then open my own class it’s just the same.

Right I feel better now where's my hug and my teddy

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• 11 months later...

The thing is how effective IS GKR against other styles, I have NEVER heard of a GKR practitioner winning an Open (that is not just GKR - other styles as well) Championship. I believe the sparing is not even semi contact - I practice Full contact knockdown Karate. “Tippy Tappy Bouncy Bouncy” will NOT work on the street. Man, if someone who is not used to hitting someone full force does they'll break their hand (it is medically proven that the average person upon hitting the face of an attacker will break their hand within 3 strikes), unless they train correctly for it.

And to be called Sensei and not be a Yudansha is insulting to those who have worked hard to get where they are. I may take a Yoga class for 3 months then open my own class it’s just the same.

Right I feel better now where's my hug and my teddy

go through the latest NAS results - in australia or the UK and you will see that GKR students regularly achieve outstanding results....

http://www.nationalallstyles.com.au/media/nas/pdfs/tournament-reports/nationals/2010/national-titles-2010.pdf