• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I will second the point made by bushido_man96. In fact, there are some moves within the Yoshinkan Aikido syllabus which are initiated by striking your opponents head. If they block you turn that against them and if they don't you got in a free punch.

One's just gotta love that, and I do!!

:)

Yes, I agree. At times, there won't be much momentum to utilize from an attacker, and that can get one into trouble. Take a Boxer, for instance. If he uses good technique, and sits back and jabs at you, there isn't a lot of momentum coming from that jab, but it will have enough power to start wearing you down. So at times, its important to be able to go on the offensive and end up creating some energy on your own to work with.

It's like a well played out game of chess where both sides engage via for an opening so as to gain the advantage, and then, there it is...the hidden checkmate! Not expected, and not prepared for because it was indeed a hidden checkmate.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 6 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Last year I spent about 4 weeks in Aikido and quit. The reason was that I couldn't get pass al the theories about "Ki" and "Energy." I tried to understand Aikido from a mystical viewpoint and it was dissappointing.

However, I just started up Aikido again with the mindset of a Karateka and it really helped me understand Aikido.

Essentially, the attacker makes his attack by increasing his speed towards you. You the Aikidoka get out of his line of attack. Instead of a hardblock, you soft block and pull him off balance a little more to increase his acceleration. When you sense that he's off balance, you quickly reverse his momentum and attack his small joint (elbow, wrist, etc.) with your entire body weight.

The result is that he is thrown. Or his small joint breaks.

I'll update you guys if I learn more about "Ki, energy, and harmony."

I like your references here, brickshooter. I like what Aikido can give me in regards to what I can already do with my striking ability, and as opposed to cling to the Aikido ideology of absorbing and using energy and all that, and not being offensively aggressive, I choose to look at how I can make the two work together, like using strikes to lead into Aikido concepts and techniques, or, putting a strike or a kick into some slots in the Aikido movements.

• 1 month later...
I like your references here, brickshooter. I like what Aikido can give me in regards to what I can already do with my striking ability, and as opposed to cling to the Aikido ideology of absorbing and using energy and all that, and not being offensively aggressive, I choose to look at how I can make the two work together, like using strikes to lead into Aikido concepts and techniques, or, putting a strike or a kick into some slots in the Aikido movements.

We went though the most intereting drill the other day. It was a 3 on 1 attack, and one of the three attackers used a tanto (wooden knife). The short of it was that I was stabbed multiple times. Defending oneself versus 3 is bad. It's really bad when one attacker was armed even if none of them were trained strikers.

However, I had to stay within the confines of Aikido rules. There were several times where I could have saved myself with a back kick or side kick to the 2nd or 3rd attacker while my hands were busy holding down the 1st attacker.

Last year I spent about 4 weeks in Aikido and quit. The reason was that I couldn't get pass al the theories about "Ki" and "Energy." I tried to understand Aikido from a mystical viewpoint and it was dissappointing.

I read your whole post but still - I must say - dang! That doesn't seem logical at all that they would introduce those concepts to a beginner.

For the creator of this thread; I say go for it. But be wary. I love Aikido but I've found it's a very hit-or-miss system in terms of quality instruction. Aikido has an interesting philosophy both in life and in training. Watch out for schools that do not practice randori. You'll want a physically demanding class with consistently alternating (every other day) focuses on sparring, randori, techniques and body conditioning. These apply to every school but for some reason I haven't personally met an Aikido school that practices these concepts. However; I have fought successfully trained Aikidokas. I'll just say it's a good thing I already learned how to do flying break falls.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been pretty faithful in my aikido training, and while it does have some great applications, i find myself relying on Judo a ton more.

It has made me more comfortable with grips though, and building muscle memory and instinct when trying to control someone's arm/someone's trying to control your arms.