• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

At the dojo I train at there's going to be Kachi Kenpo Kung Fu & Aikido. I'm thinking of trying out Aikido, could someone explain what Aikido is about?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's mostly about using the attacker's momentum against him. There's a lot of redirecting his force to put him on the ground with just a small movement-- a lot of knocking his hand out the way gently so it misses. It's basically "how can I stop this attack and render my opponent harmless to me with the least amount of movement/force possible".

This may sound kind of bad, but I look at Aikido as Hapkido, made more complicated. Don't get me wrong, because there are some things I enjoy with Aikido, like the Aikitaisos and such, and some of the concepts are good ones. But, I think a lot of things become more complex than they need to be because of the flowing energy they like to use and create.

Of course, I am still pretty new at it, too, and have missed practices for the last few months.

• 2 weeks later...

Aikido (in my opinion) is one of the most powerful self defense arts imaginable, and I use the term self defense because you literally can not attack with this art. Using your opponents momentum and slightly redirecting his force with a little bit of yours, a massive result occurs, like someone taping a spinning top. This is an amazing art if you can learn it so go for it.

I am not a fighter, I am a guardian.

Google and Wikipedia can help you.

It is a self defense martial art. Aikido is like judo, you use your opponent's power against him. But I think there are more joint locks in aikido then judo. They also practise more standing fight than grappling. It was created because its creator though karate was too brutal. Try aikido yourself and see if it fits you.

Greetings

John Steczko

John The Burn Belly Fat Guy

Aikido (in my opinion) is one of the most powerful self defense arts imaginable, and I use the term self defense because you literally can not attack with this art. Using your opponents momentum and slightly redirecting his force with a little bit of yours, a massive result occurs, like someone taping a spinning top. This is an amazing art if you can learn it so go for it.

I beg to differ here. Many of the movements of the art are based off of sword movements, and it can be a very offensive style, if one wants it to be. Its all in how you practice it. I'd be very reluctant to say that any style is purely defensive.

Aren't all defence movements ultimately offensive in nature too? Even without using any strikes or locks you could throw your opponent into a wall or send them off into some other obstacle.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 1 month later...

I will second the point made by bushido_man96. In fact, there are some moves within the Yoshinkan Aikido syllabus which are initiated by striking your opponents head. If they block you turn that against them and if they don't you got in a free punch.

I will second the point made by bushido_man96. In fact, there are some moves within the Yoshinkan Aikido syllabus which are initiated by striking your opponents head. If they block you turn that against them and if they don't you got in a free punch.

One's just gotta love that, and I do!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

One's just gotta love that, and I do!!

:)

Yes, I agree. At times, there won't be much momentum to utilize from an attacker, and that can get one into trouble. Take a Boxer, for instance. If he uses good technique, and sits back and jabs at you, there isn't a lot of momentum coming from that jab, but it will have enough power to start wearing you down. So at times, its important to be able to go on the offensive and end up creating some energy on your own to work with.