• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it realistic to train for multiple attackers?

I have done multiple oponent sparring, and i not only thought it was helpful, but i kind of enjoyed it. Now i will say that high kicks and long developing moves don't work, but it can be done, at least 2 or 3 on 1. I don't know about 4 or 5 on 1, but i know one guy that did it when he had no choice. His rank at the time was Shihan, and 4 guys in an alley jumped him, and all 5 including shihan went to the hospital, because shihan broke his elbow on the last guys head. I always tell people that ask me what i would do in that situation, that i would do only as much as necessary to escape, and stay alive.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think when it comes to multiple opponent training, the question wouldn't be whether or not it is realistic to train for it, but whether or not the training you do for multiple opponents is realistic.

Very good! I do some 2 on one with my police officers. Seems prisoners and gangs are teaching each other one go high, one go low, take the officer down, take their weapon and use it on the them. Seems to me the most practical tools are some really good foot work, boxing with some elbows, a little Greco and great leg defense. Keeping the two in line making one useless to the other. Not necessarily in that order.

I think when it comes to multiple opponent training, the question wouldn't be whether or not it is realistic to train for it, but whether or not the training you do for multiple opponents is realistic.

Very good! I do some 2 on one with my police officers. Seems prisoners and gangs are teaching each other one go high, one go low, take the officer down, take their weapon and use it on the them. Seems to me the most practical tools are some really good foot work, boxing with some elbows, a little Greco and great leg defense. Keeping the two in line making one useless to the other. Not necessarily in that order.

Agreed!

It's funny how something that works tends to show up in several martial arts. This is the way we trained it in TKD, Shotokan, Aiki Jujitsu, BJJ and Chuan Fa. Good footwork and try to stack the opponents. Not to mention trying to get the heck out of the situation as quickly as possible.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Sort of like others have said, better to have the training and not need it than need the training and not have it.

We've done some multiple attacker work. Not as much as I'd like, but it's hard to squeeze in everything when you're limited on training time. Emphasis is on surviving, keeping moving and keeping from ending up on the center. Things go okay when it's 2 on 1. It gets pretty hairy at 4 on 1 and it's just pray you can hit the openings before you get buried.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Agreed!

It's funny how something that works tends to show up in several martial arts. This is the way we trained it in TKD, Shotokan, Aiki Jujitsu, BJJ and Chuan Fa. Good footwork and try to stack the opponents. Not to mention trying to get the heck out of the situation as quickly as possible.

Yep, if the tactics are good and sound, they tend to show up across the board. The truth tends to reveal itself.

• 2 months later...

When it comes to multiple attackers, I believe in the three E's

Escape-If possible

Eyes-Attack eyes and keep moving

Escalate-Get a weapon, or if they have a weapon, a better weapon.

If I'm facing multiple attackers, I'm very sure I'm fighting for my life. So the only three things I could add is:

1) Put your back to a wall. I don't think I can emphasize this enough.

2) Try to finish single attacker at a time. And an eye gouge or groin strike generally isn't enough, it's useful distractor so that you can actually knock him out cold when he's most vunerable.

3) Look for a weapon. A brick, a club, a rolled up magazine, a chair, etc. to even the odds. BTW, if you're going to pick it up. Have the intent to used it immediately. Don't pick it up just to make a threat.

If I'm facing multiple attackers, I'm very sure I'm fighting for my life. So the only three things I could add is:

1) Put your back to a wall. I don't think I can emphasize this enough.

2) Try to finish single attacker at a time. And an eye gouge or groin strike generally isn't enough, it's useful distractor so that you can actually knock him out cold when he's most vunerable.

3) Look for a weapon. A brick, a club, a rolled up magazine, a chair, etc. to even the odds. BTW, if you're going to pick it up. Have the intent to used it immediately. Don't pick it up just to make a threat.

Very solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Is it realistic to train for multiple attackers? Yes, but only if you are already very competent at taking on one attacker. Lets take an example from outside the realm of fighting for a moment.

Imagine we are training someone for basketball. Do we teach them how to handle a double team before we are sure the kid has good ball handling skills? No, of course not. I'm not talking about passing the ball here, just how to attack the double team. Afterall, we can't pass off the fight. However, as the kid gets very good, we can teach them these skills. Now, let's look at the NBA. You can estimate the number of players who can effectively handle a double team on a consistent basis to be very small at best. Most of those guys are in the hall of fame. So, is it doable? Sure. Is it likely that every one who trains it will be good at it? No, not really. Of course, if you put even the worst NBA player against 2 high school players, he'll beat them every time. So there's a hierarchy of sorts. Unfortunately, we can't always choose our adversaries.

The same holds true for any skill. Fighting is no different. I've seen teachers making 9 year old green belts, who have very little dexterity, agility, kinesthetic awareness and skill, train against multiple attackers. All that came out of it is that the kid looked really sloppy. Is that realistic? In my opinion, no. The kid would get himself hurt trying this against a few bullies, let alone a more dangerous encounter.

I believe our time is better spent learning to deal with one attacker. Once we are exceptional at that skill, moving on to multiple attackers is something to train from time to time. Just hope that neither attacker has much fighting experience, or you may be in alot of trouble.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."