• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it realistic to train for multiple attackers?

Getting away from multiple attackers is, of course, the best option. However, training physically to work towards this and make an escape is important. You don't want the first time you try to process a critical incient like this to be when your hip deep in bad guys.

Strike, move thru the gaps, and hit an escape. That's the idea, it gets easier if you've set of "live" drills like this during training.

Worse case time should be put in to. What if you can't run? Your job might entail staying to solve it (law enfocement, ect.) or you might have another concern that you can't live behind, ie an girlfrind or such that's gone to condition panic and has no concept of the thinkgs we're talking about.

Just because we hope these things will never happen doesn't mean that they won't. Best to put in a little prep time ahead of time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know running was an option :D

The multiple attacker drills give me a real sense of confusion. Typically everyone in the drill triangle (3 ppl) or square (4 ppl) gets tagged really good at least once. In my dojo these drilled are always set up according to size and ability for that reason.

These drills help me try to focus, analyze and react while pandemonium is occurring around me. If I can get through the drill without hearing some yell "you are dropping my hands" or "get out of the middle" I fell good about the drill, beat up, but good.

Running away would be the best option. Anyone who tries to stand and fight 3, 4 or 5 multiple attackers when they've got the option to get out of there is stupid IMO.

Multiple attacker sparring is great for awareness of where everyone is and learning to move and arrange everyone to deal with them one at a time. Or even just sparring in a room full of other people sparring would be beneficial as you have to be aware where everyone else is in order not to crash into them.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Well, there's always the 100-man kumite as a training tool.

I'm of the crowd that says...run at the very first opportunity when faced with multiple opponents. Life isn't a movie!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 months later...

Yes it is possible. When confronted by multiple attackers the first thing you need to do is assess the environment, that is if you are actually confronted instead of ambushed. Assessing the environment allows you to take note of good areas to funnel the enemy ( like a doorway is the "funnel of death" in urban situations ), in other words make them get in line for you :), also it lets you figure out your escape route, whenever possible USE THE ESCAPE ROUTE. It's probably not a situation where you would feel inclined to hang around anyway... :karate:

“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit.” - Miyamoto Musashi

Why is the sky blue? Because God loves the infantry! Why does God love the infantry? Because we get to Heaven first!

Or even just sparring in a room full of other people sparring would be beneficial as you have to be aware where everyone else is in order not to crash into them.

That's a common occurrence at the new school. Imagine 5-6 pairs sparring in a space around 25 ft x 35 ft.

:o Where'd that kick come from?!

:-? What are you doing under my feet?

:lol: Watch your 6!

:( oh no, the weapons rack! *crash*

:idea: There's the heavy bag, great!

You really have to see a target before letting loose a technique. I've gone to throw a spin hook kick and if I had extended from the chamber, I would have knocked someone out- and not my opponent! Some of us are becoming quite good at backing an opponent into a corner or placing him in the path of another group.

So, yes, I'd say it's very useful. You don't want to be in that situation, but say you get cornered in an alley/hallway/room with one door. Or you have an "anchor"- girlfriend/wife/injured or incapacitated buddy. You want to outmanuever the bad guys and not hurt your friend or let her get in your way or put her in the bad guys' path.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

Is it realistic to train for multiple attackers?

Is it realistic? Well, I'd rather to have trained for multiple attackers in many, many live "drills", than to not have trained at all. To train for multiple attackers, imho, one better train their whole entire body because it might take just that to defeat multilple attackers.

I think when it comes to multiple opponent training, the question wouldn't be whether or not it is realistic to train for it, but whether or not the training you do for multiple opponents is realistic.

I think when it comes to multiple opponent training, the question wouldn't be whether or not it is realistic to train for it, but whether or not the training you do for multiple opponents is realistic.

SOLID!!